Best Ever Hot Chocolate French Toast.
Yes, I am one hundred percent serious.
Now please, do not get confused.
I am in no way suggesting this for breakfast, although I can totally find many ways in my brain to justify this as breakfast. No, this is dessert and this dessert does not mess around.
Let’s just skip all my yapping. You guys could probably use a break from it anyway. Today let’s just get right down to the food.
Because oh my gosh, this dessert is pure awesomeness on a plate or in your hand or better yet in your mouth. Yes, in your mouth for sure!
Everything starts with this Challah bread, that I ironically I tried to make healthy only to later make it… well let’s just say I can no longer claim it as being healthy. Actually, if I am being honest, I only made the Challah bread so I would have the bread to make this dessert.
Makes total sense, right? Yes, yes it does. Trust me. It does!
This french toast is unlike any other of its kind.
Not only is the center filled with a chocolate mocha ganache (oh my gosh, yes it is!!), but the bread is actually soaked in hot chocolate.
Ahh huh. Soaked in hot chocolate.
Stuffed with ganache.
Topped with coconut whipped cream and homemade marshmallows.
Drizzled with more ganache and sprinkled with toasted coconut.
It. Is. Incredible.
The process to make these is similar to any other french toast recipe. First you slather some ganache on the toast and then sandwich them together. Then soak the french toast sandwiches in eggs, or in this case eggy hot chocolate, for thirty minutes or as long as over night. Then just fry in a skillet, top as desired and be seriously amazed.
Kind of a picture perfect dessert if you ask me.
The coconut element to these can be omitted, but man oh man, I love the coconut with the chocolate.
It’s so good, but if coconut is just not your thing I included swaps for you in the recipe.
And the marshmallows?
You have to try making them yourself. Sure, you can use store-bought and it will still be awesome, but homemade is so much better.
I used this recipe that I posted a few weeks ago and it is really so awesome and easy. Promise, you guys can do it!
And that’s pretty much it.
Best Ever Hot Chocolate French Toast
Hot Cocoa Ganache
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk may sub heavy cream
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 2 teaspoons instant expresso powder
- whipped cream, marshmallows, and coconut
- To make the ganache. In a microwave safe bowl add the cream, coconut oil and chocolate. Microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring after each until smooth. Stir in the instant coffee until dissolved and smooth. Place this in the freezer for 15 minutes or the fridge for 30 minutes, but no longer. You want the ganache to be spreadable or to be able to drizzle it.
- To make the french toast. In a glass measuring cup or medium size microwave safe bowl add 1 cup of coconut milk. Microwave the milk for 2-3 minutes (depending on how powerful your microwave is) or until the coconut milk is hot. Stir in 3-4 tablespoons of [hot cocoa mix | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-holiday-gifts-easy-double-chocolate-vanilla-bean-hot-cocoa-mugs-marshmallows/]. Let cool 5 minutes.
- In the meantime grab a 9x13 inch pan and whisk together the eggs, vanilla, coconut extract (if using) and salt. Whisk in the hot chocolate.
- Grab your ganache from the freezer (or fridge) and use a spoon to carefully spread the ganache over one side of all the slices of bread (You will not use all the ganache). Sandwich the slices together to make four sandwiches. Place the sandwiches in the hot cocoa egg mixture, cover the pan and place in the fridge for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes flip the sandwiches over so the other side of the sandwich is now in the egg mixture. Place back in the fridge for 15 minutes or let it sit overnight.
- When ready to cook the french toast. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat generously with butter. When the skillet is hot, cook the french toast in batches (do not overcrowd) until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove and serve immediately with coconut whipped cream, marshmallows (you should toast them!!), toasted coconut and a good drizzle of more ganache. DEVOUR! 🙂
Just. No. Words.