That is what this salad is.
Seriously big, seriously awesome, seriously loaded and seriously so good.
I kind of think it is the salad of everyone’s dreams.
Even if you are not into steak you’d like this salad. The chicken version is just as good and you could even do a vegetarian version with black beans or a crumbled veggie burger like this awesome one.
Just do not skip the fries.
Or the eggs
Okay, or the cheese.
So the weekend? Let’s talk about that for a sec.
I am sad it’s over.
The weather was awesome, the food was bone licking good and the house (err condo) was….
Alright, really only Saturday was quiet and really only for few hours, but they were some awesome hours. Plus, I was extra excited because I had my dad out on a mission.
Yes, I am nineteen and I send my dad out on missions.
He’s the best, especially at finding odd items. Odd, food blogger items that most women, and probably no other person my age, wants anything to do with.
I told him Friday night that he had one goal this weekend. One goal that he’d better complete or it was chicken scraps for dinner all week. No fancy fish, no fruit salsas and no cobblers doused with kahlua sauce.
Just kidding. I am not that mean. At least I am not that mean all the time.
I have a feeling my brother Trevor would argue this.
Anyway, I sent my dad to find wood.
Yeah, old beat up wood. It was the perfect mission for him. He’s weird and likes old bikes (like really old road bikes), old cars (think rusty Mercedes – not cute little red, James Bond cars) and apparently finding me old wood to shoot food on.
Well mission complete.
I now have a big wooden palette sitting in my bedroom. It kind of looks like the wood on an old boat dock
And I am now very, very happy.
I love my old dock and I love that my dad was so happy to go and spend his Saturday finding it for me.
Gotta love dads.
So I wanted to return the favor and make this salad….
But of course I did not. I was a lame daughter and fed everyone pasta or maybe even leftovers. I can’t remember, I did way too much cooking this weekend. I did make ice cream though and in my opinion nothing says thank you like ice cream!
Back to the salad. The salad with homemade baked french fries, grilled steal hard-boiled eggs, poached eggs, blue cheese butter, caramelized walnuts and some more blue cheese for you know, good measure.
Every salad should taste this great.
Definitely made to make Monday night better.
- Make the Fries: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place cut potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil, smoked paprika, chili powder salt and pepper. Gently toss with your hands or two spatulas to evenly coat. Spread on a baking sheet in one layer. Roast for 25-30 minutes, then flip and roast for 25-30 minutes more. This may take longer or shorter, depending on how thick you cut your potatoes. You want the potatoes to be deeply golden and crispy on the outside!
- While the fries cook make the dressing, blue cheese butter and prepare the hard boiled eggs if using.
- To make the dressing combine the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon hot chili oil, ginger and a pinch of salt and pepper in small bowl. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Set a side. The dressing can me made ahead and stored in the fridge for a few days.
- In another bowl mash together the butter, 2 to 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese, basil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside. The blue cheese can me made ahead as well and stored in the fridge for a few days.
- Next heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts and 2 tablespoons honey. Toast the the nuts for 3 minutes, stir and toast another 3 minutes or until caramelized and golden brown. Watch carefully. They burn quick!
- When you're ready to make the salads, cook the steak via you're preferred method - I like to grill it. Heat your grill to medium high. Rub the steaks with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides and grill until your preferred doneness. I like mine about medium-rare, which was about 5 minutes per side (this depends on the thickness of your steak). Let it rest before slicing against the grain into strips. While the steaks cook prepare the remaining 4 eggs as you desire. I poached my eggs using this method . It works like a charm.
- To assemble the salads, combine greens with the tomatoes and walnuts. Add the the french fries and the hard boiled eggs and and a handful of crumbled blue cheese. Next add the sliced steak and a pat of the blue cheese butter right on top of the steak. Finally add the poached eggs and sprinkle of salt and pepper, then drizzle on dressing.
Yeah… I like this.