I Know. Typical, salad on Monday.
But this is so not your typical salad.
And it is most definitely not boring.
For starters, the honey mustard pretzel crusted chicken.
It’s the bomb. Who knew coating chicken in honey mustard and then covering them in pretzels would be so good?
To be honest this salad was originally going to involve pecan crusted chicken, but then I realized I had about seven pecans left. Seven pecans just was not gonna cut it.
I was SO frustrated. I never run out of anything. See, my mom and I have this problem. We STOCK up. Nuts, chips, flour (I buy the 50 pound bags from Costco), chocolate chips , peanut butter, basically anything that won’t go bad we have back ups for and then probably some back ups for those back ups. Yes, I am well aware that the whole 2012, Mayan prediction, end of civilization as we know it, already passed (thank goodness), we just like to stock up. Hey we have a big family!.
I promise though, we only stock up on food. I hate clutter and basically anything that has no use to me just taking up space. It bugs me along with white plastic, but that is a whole other story. And really if I told you about that today you really would consider reporting me to an insane asylum.
So the pecans were NOT happening. I was not about to go outside in the blowing snow and freeze my butt off just for pecans. So I switched gears and it was probably the best thing I could have done.
Roasted Honey Mustard pretzels are delicious!
Seriously, I am new to this whole honey mustard concept but am now in love. Whoa!
Basically, this salad is really simple.
Coat the chicken, whisk together the dressing, toss the pretzels with a few tablespoons of the dressing, roast the pretzels to crisp deliciousness, toss together some lettuce, spinach, strawberries (unexpected, but SO good in this) and avocado. Divvy up the greens, top with some sliced chicken, honey roasted pretzels, gorgonzola cheese and a generous drizzle of honey mustard dressing. Done!
Oh, and really guys don’t skip the strawberries. The strawberries with the honey mustard flavors gives the most amazing sweet and tangy combo. Plus, it is totally healthy! It is awesome.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey, mustard, egg white and whisk well. Toss the chicken in the honey mustard and set aside. Place the pretzels in a sealable plastic bag, seal, and finely crush through the bag with a meat mallet or other heavy utensil (or just carefully step on the bag). Spread the mixture out on a large plate or in a large dish. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Remove one piece of chicken at a time from the mustard. Place in the pretzels crumb bag and use your fist to pound the pretzels onto the chicken. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken. Mist the tops of the pretzel crusted chicken with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through baking, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven and serve with the salad.
- While the chicken cooks combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Whisk well and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Remove a few tablespoons (I think I used around three) of the dressing and place in a medium size mixing bowl. Toss the whole pretzels with the dressing an place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Place in the oven with chicken for 10-15 minutes or until the pretzels have turned golden brown, flipping halfway through (don't forget about them, they can burn quickly). Remove from the oven, let cool 5 minutes and then transfer to a bowl.
- In a large bowl toss the lettuce, spinach, strawberries and avocado together. Plate the salad and top each plate with a sliced piece of chicken, roasted honey mustard pretzels and feta cheese. Drizzle with more dressing.
Monday salad never tasted so good! Seriously, I am not joking.