Weeknight style, healthy, Taco Stuffed Avocados, made with two sauces and all the best toppings. Everyone loves a loaded taco…but a loaded avocado, stuffed with taco meat, and all your favorite toppings, will make your night! Ground chicken seasoned with a smoky chili spice mix, stuffed into ripe avocados, and topped with cheese, sauce, and chips. These tacos stuffed avocados are creamy, spicy, and cheesy with just the right amount of crunch. Serve each taco with a creamy, cooling, cilantro lime ranch sauce, and a mix of your favorite taco toppings. They come together in minutes and are so delicious…the perfect weeknight dinner.
It’s an inside-out taco, and it’s not only fun but delicious too. I’ve kind of had this idea in my head for a while now, but it felt a little odd. I wasn’t sure if you’d all be into the idea of taco meat stuffed into your creamy avocados.
But with summer here and the warmer days, I wanted to share an almost no-cook recipe. These avocados literally take minutes to make, are healthier, and yet are still really darn good.
I just kept coming back to them.
They seemed like a fun idea to me and when I presented it to both of my cousins in a list of recipes, they said this was their favorite pick. So I trusted them, and I ran with the idea, and now here we are…
Guys, we have taco-stuffed avocados!!
Usually, I love my crunchy shell tacos. I make them extra crispy and extra cheese. But warm days leave me craving a little lighter recipes and these were just perfect.
Sure, they’re a little different, but as I’ve been saying lately, don’t knock them until you try them.
They’re a classic with a twist. So simple, creamy, cheesy, and with a crunchy top…SO GOOD. I love them.
On to the details
Pick up some ground chicken, turkey, or even ground beef. Just be sure to use what your family loves most! Brown the meat, add seasonings, and stuff the meat into perfectly ripened avocados. Then top with cheese, ranch, chipotle sauce, and chips. Doesn’t get any easier, but yet this is a dinner that everyone loves.
For the seasonings, I use a mix of chili powder and smoked paprika to keep the taco meat extra flavorful. I then add chili flakes for even more spice.
While the meat is cooking, make the chipotle sauce
This is 100% my kind of sauce. It’s spicy, sweet, tangy, and really great atop these avocados. It’s a simple mix of chipotle chilis, mango jam, and orange juice. Just blend everything together, taste for saltiness, and that’s it.
Easy to make but really packs in the flavor.
If you don’t have mango-pineapple jam, mango-preach jam (or anything similar) will be great as well.
And now, assemble
Well, first the chips. I make homemade tortilla chips, then toss them in Tajin. Obviously, these are addicting. If you have a couple of extra minutes, I would highly recommend making your own chips/strips. They’re very, very good…and much healthier than store-bought!
Spoon the warm meat into each avocado, top with lots of cheese cream, then add the chips and chipotle sauce.
Yummm. And super quick too!
Looking for other healthy Mexican recipes? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Taco Stuffed Avocados, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Taco Stuffed Avocados with Chipotle Sauce and Cilantro Lime Ranch
Calories Per Serving: 311 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, beef, or turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 cup shredded Mexican or cotija cheese
- tortilla chips/strips for serving
- ranch or sour cream, for serving (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the ground chicken, onion, and poblano. Cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt. Add 1/2 cup water. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly around the chicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. 2. Meanwhile make the chipotle sauce, combine all ingredients in a blender. Blender until combined. Season with salt.3. Halve and pit avocados. Spoon the warm taco meat into each avocado and top with cheese. Let the meat overflow onto your plate. Top with ranch/sour cream, chips, and cilantro. Drizzle the sauce over top. Eat with a spoon and enjoy!
View Recipe Comments
Cilantro Lime Ranch: In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños - chopped + 2 tablespoons brine, juice from 2 limes, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Whisk until creamy.