Strawberry Glazed Chai Doughnuts.
Embracing strawberry season with these pretty Strawberry Glazed Chai Doughnuts. Homemade brioche doughnuts, flavored with chai spice, and finished with a perfectly sweet strawberry, white chocolate glaze. The doughnuts are light, fluffy, and perfectly hinted with chai flavor. This strawberry glaze is truly the icing on the cake…or the doughnut.
Happiest Tuesday all! I know these doughnuts are a bit of an indulgent recipe for a Tuesday, but sometimes the week needs an extra sweet and oh so pretty addition, just to make it a bit sweeter. At least these are my thoughts at this moment. As I sit, very squished, into the middle seat between two rather large men on my flight to LA. Both of whom are sleeping, snoring, and leaning inward towards me…
Side Note: I had the aisle seat but was asked (not so kindly), to move to the middle. And I may be a tinsy bit unhappy about it.
Anyway, I made these on a whim last week, after dreaming about creating them for weeks. Actually, since the first day of spring.
I always hesitate with recipes that involve frying, because I will be the first to admit, frying isn’t that much fun. BUT the outcome is always worth the effort and extra clean-up. So, with a fridge full of fresh strawberries, and almost zero time left before my trip to LA. I decided to go for it and make these doughnuts. Asher was hanging with me at the studio, and she full on talked me into these homemade doughnuts. And I couldn’t be happier she did.
Of course this was a great way to use up all the berries I had in the fridge before leaving for a week long trip. They ended up being even more delicious that I dreamed up in my head. Asher agreed too…even though she really just wanted a chocolate glazed doughnut.
If you’ve never made homemade doughnuts, please let me tell you that they are really not as tricky as you might be thinking. In fact, if you’ve made my homemade honey brioche bread, then you can make these doughnuts. I’m so obsessed with that brioche bread, I ended up using that very recipe as the base for these doughnuts.
Yes, that does mean that these are brioche doughnuts. And yes, they are every bit as light, airy, and delicious as you might be thinking. The dough is a mix of milk, flour, eggs, and butter. All ingredients you should have on hand, and ingredients that once combined, create something very close to perfect.
The dough is spiced up with the flavors of warming chai tea for a slightly cozier doughnut.
It’s very unexpected within a doughnut, but it is SO GOOD.
For as much as I love the chai doughnuts, I love the glaze maybe just a touch more? Both are great, but when put together?
Maybe the best doughnuts…ever? I will not make that claim, but point is that it’s a good combination.
The glaze is super simple, pureed fresh strawberries, melted white chocolate, and a touch of vanilla. Sweetened ever so lightly with a touch of powdered sugar, but I let the strawberries and chocolate do most of the sweetening.
I like to generously dip each doughnut through the glaze, coating every nook and cranny of these sweet chai doughnuts. The glaze makes every bite sweet and strawberry filled. And instead of the doughnut being bland and flavorless, those warming chai spices, like cinnamon and cardamom, provide a touch of cozy. It’s as close to perfect as it gets, and truly an extra special treat for breakfast or dessert.
These doughnuts are the best way to use all those sweet spring strawberries. My recommendation? Find some time this week, over maybe the weekend to make these. They’re fairly simple, and oh so fun to make. Just looking at their pretty pink color makes me smile, but tasting them is even better.
You must give these doughnuts a try.
If you make these Strawberry Glazed Chai Doughnuts, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Strawberry Glazed Chai Doughnuts.
Homemade brioche doughnuts, flavored with chai spice, and finished with a perfectly sweet strawberry, white chocolate glaze. Light, fluffy, and perfectly hinted with chai flavor.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk, yeast, honey, 4 eggs, flour, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, all-spice, and salt. Using the dough hook, mix until the flour is completely incorporated, about 4-5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons room temp butter and mix until combined, about 2-3 minutes more.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using doughnut or cookie cutters, cut out rounds of dough. Arrange the doughnuts on the prepared baking sheet. Cover the doughnuts loosely with plastic wrap while the oil heats.
4. Heat 2 inches of oil to 350 degrees F. Working in batches, use a slotted metal spoon or spatula to carefully place the doughnuts into the hot oil. Fry, flipping once, until light golden brown and puffed, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain onto a paper towel lined plate.
5. To make the glaze. Process strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Stir in the white chocolate until smooth. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar.
6. Invert the doughnuts into the glaze, allow excess to drip into the bowl. Enjoy or let the glaze stiffen for 10 minutes or so. These are best eaten the same day they've been fried, but leftovers keep in a single layer in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Our Favorite Recipes
No Bake Greek Yogurt Fruit Tart.