Spinach and Artichoke Melts
Ah, ha. I’ve got a doozy for you today.
Spinach and Artichokes Melts! Yes!
So you know your favorite party dip, spinach and artichoke? Yeah, I totally slathered that ALL over some bread and grilled it up grilled cheese style. It’s pretty much the best thing your face is gonna meet today. I mean it’s Monday, let’s be honest we don’t encounter a whole lot of amazingness on a Monday. No offense to your boss, husband, your kids or that boring turkey sandwich you would have eaten.
Have you guys ever been to a Claddagh Irish Pub? They have a few in Ohio, Pennsylvania and I think a few other states in the Midwest. I have only been there a handful of times when I was younger, but I always got the same thing, the Chicken Spinach Melt.
My grandma and I would go shopping on the weekends a lot, we like to shop and she loves to go out to lunch. So we’d shop, work up quite the appetite, and have some lunch. I know pretty fun right? Sounds like a good Saturday to me!
I have no idea what was in that melt other than spinach, artichokes and chicken. Honestly I can not even believe I remember what it tasted like it was so long ago, but I created a pretty good copy cat.
Basically the spread is a lightened up version of spinach and artichoke dip. Seriously, I could eat this stuff with a spoon it’s so good (good thing the recipe makes extra dip, you know for the “taste test”). Slather it on some sourdough bread and grill in a pan so it gets all oozy, gooey, crispy and delicious! Yeah, I know. Whoa!
Trust me this is gonna brighten your Monday right up. Oh and hey, isn’t that big sporting event thingy this Sunday? Oh yeah the Super Bowl. Yeah, this is pretty much perfect for that.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Spinach and Artichoke Melts
Keyword: Spinach and Artichoke
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2% but whatever you have will be fine)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt I used 0%
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach thawed, about 5 ounces
- 1 (8 ounce) jar grilled artichoke hearts or you can sub marinated artichokes chopped
- 1 chicken breast grilled and sliced thin (optional)
- 8 slices thick sourdough or tuscan bread
- butter for spreading
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Whisk in flour until it makes a paste. Cook over medium-low heat for a minute or two, then pour in milk. Stir and cook one minute, if your paste gets too thick splash in more milk.
- Add cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan and pepper. Stir until cheeses are melted. Stir in the greek yogurt until smooth. Chop artichokes and spinach and add to the sauce. Stir to combine. Dip will be thick, just use some muscle and stir in those veggies!
- Heat a skillet (or griddle, etc) oven medium-low heat. Butter the outsides of every bread slice, then spread a good amount (any where from 1-3 tablespoons) of the spinach and artichoke dip on the inside (the non-buttered side) of each slice. If using, top one slice with the sliced grilled chicken. Top off with another slice of bread, buttered-side up. Cook until each side is golden and crisp and cheese is melted, then gently flip and do the same.
- Slice and serve.
You will have leftover spinach and artichoke dip. You can use this again for sandwiches the next day, as a sauce, for paste or as a yummy dip!
So deliciously awesome. Ahhh.