Single Lady 5-Minute Gooey Molten Chocolate Mug Cake.
I never thought I’d make a mug cake, but then I did… and now I am addicted to this Single Lady 5-Minute Gooey Molten Chocolate Mug Cake.
Do you remember how on Wednesday I told you guys that I hadn’t been able to cook for the last two days because I had workers finishing up things in the kitchen? Yeah, well that two days turned into three because they didn’t totally finish. Honestly, it’s still not FULLY finished, but all the big stuff is done… in the kitchen anyway.
So that meant that I was basically kicked out of the house for the whole day (again), which meant I was back with the family. I could have taken another day to do computer work, because there is always work to be done on the computer, especially since I usually put computer work off until I absolutely HAVE to do it. But I just could not do another day of sitting and staring at my laptop, I had to cook. Two days was a long enough break for me, and as I said, I am not a fan of staring at my computer for long periods of time. Unless of course I am watching some cheesy romantic movie because I am sort of a sucker for those at the moment.
SO. All of my stuff is obviously at my house, but I grabbed a few pretty dishes and some parchment paper and I was set for the day. Granted these are not my favorite photos in the world, but they get the point across that mug cakes are DELISH.
Or at least I think they do. I mean, don’t you see all the warm chocolate goodness going on?
I know that mug cakes are nothing new. I have seen them around for a while now, but this is my first time ever trying them. To be honest, I have never been too excited to make one because I’d rather just make a giant chocolate cake or a ton of cute little molten chocolate cakes, one is just never enough. Seeing as I didn’t have any of my stuff with me, and mom and I needed a warm and ooey gooey dessert, I figured it was time I try the mug cake.
This little 5-minute gooey molten chocolate mug cake is all made in the microwave, which yes, made me VERY skeptical. I try to avoid microwave cooking at all costs because I love my oven (oh, but it totally hates me), but desperate times and a chocolate craving helped me to look past the whole “made in the microwave thing”. Also, just a side note, if you don’t have a microwave, like my Uncle Matt and me (no microwave down at the barn…and I am not missing it too much), you can bake this little cake in an oven safe dish. It works great (probably better than the microwave), but it takes 10-15 minutes. Watch it closely though, since overcooking these is just not a good thing!
The best part about this mug cake? It takes literally five whole minutes from start to finish, you use just one dish and one fork and umm, there is that whole portion control thing for all you healthy New Year’s resolutioners out there. The recipe only serves one, making it perfect for us single girls. You could even mix the dry ingredients in a mug and then the wet in another container and pack it all up to take on the go with you. Then just pop the mug with all the ingredients into the microwave for an after-lunch treat at work. All your coworkers will be SO jealous of your hot and gooey and extra chocolately cake in a mug.
The only tricky part about these cakes is finding the perfect cooking time. For me, this meant one minute and 30 seconds in my parents 1200 watt microwave. I wouldn’t go over two minutes though as I am pretty sure that will over cook them.
I topped mine with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Toppings for a sweet life, yep – they make everything better!
Oh, and since it is Friday? That means these are totally acceptable. Especially because of all of our healthy eating that we did this week.
5-Minute Gooey Molten Chocolate Mug Cake.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 small egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk or your favorite milk
- coconut whipped cream for serving
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 ounce bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- Lightly grease a microwave safe mug with cooking spray. To the mug add the flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk it all together with a fork.
- Add the egg, coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla. Use a fork to whisk the batter together until just combined. Try to make sure you have incorporated all the flour off the bottom of the mug.
- Lightly break up the chocolate and place it in the center of the mug. Drizzle the coffee overtop the batter.
- Place in the microwave and microwave on full power for 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I have a 1200 watt microwave and found 1 minute and 30 seconds was perfect. Allow the cake to cool 1 minute and then dollop with coconut whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy right away, warm! Oh, and grab a cold glass of milk too!
It’s all about balance.