Is there anything better than a plate full of lasagna?? The answer is noooooo and this Simple Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna is something you have to try! Vegetarian or not!
Watch the How-To Video Here:
Especially in the dead of winter?? It’s pretty much the only thing I can think about at this very moment. I mean, do you see the all that cheese??
I am dying. All the cheese please!
So we have serious things to chat about today, and when I say serious, I’m talking about this very simple vegetarian skillet lasagna. I’m sure after looking at this gooey deliciousness that you might like to start making this pretty much ASAP, right?!?! I get that, actually, if you are reading this bright and early… I would tell you to add a fried egg and call it breakfast.
That may be kind of weird, but man it would be delicious!
Getting back on topic here, I think I’ve said this before, but my family really loves lasagna. It’s just one of those cozy family dinners that everyone loves. When I make it for the whole fam, I always go the classic route, but last week I just really wanted lasagna, and I really really wanted to do ZERO work to get it.
Like no pasta boiling, pasta layering, sauce making or baking for an hour plus. No, NONE of that please.
Obviously, the whole ZERO work lasagna thing was never going to happen, but this lasagna recipe is the next best thing. Read: ONE skillet, NO layering lasagna noodles, NO boiling lasagna noodles, made in under one hour and actually a pretty healthy veggie filled meal… if you count cheese as healthy, which you should all know by now that I DO. Duh.
Sounds pretty awesome, right???
It totally is, and it’s totally delicious and satisfying… even without any meat! To bulk up the sauce, I used a mix of zucchini, mushrooms and lentils. I am on a big veggies and lentils kick right now. I’ve basically been swapping them for meat in almost any and every thing I make. I know that may sound scary to you meat lovers out there, but can I just say that this skillet lasagna got two thumbs up from my plain eating, meat loving, mother. Her reaction to this meal made me SO happy!
I got my mom to eat lentils!! LENTILS!! YESS. She hates beans and legumes of any kind, so when I can sneak them into her food… AND she actually likes the food, it is a very good day!
P.S. who could not like beans?? Hello bean burritos, beans and rice…cheesy beans?? YUM.
The point is that this lasagna passed the picky eater test. Meaning I feel like you can totally get your kids to eat this. And if you don’t have kids? More for you (leftovers are KILLER)!!
I also feel like this would be another great Valentine’s Day dinner. Shhh, no one needs to know that you didn’t slave over the stove all day long. That can be our little secret. 🙂
As for my cheese choices? Mozzarella, provolone and parmesan, the classic Italian line up.
And hey, all the veggies and lentils cancel out any issues you may have with the cheese, right?? OF COURSE, no other way to look at. So you see??!!! Here you have a have super yummy, cozy and romantic Valentine’s Day meal that’s pretty simple… and healthy too!
Now all you need is the wine, the chocolate and all the flowers your money can buy…seriously.
Simple Vegetarian Skillet Lasagna.
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 472 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded + chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 jar roasted garlic or tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes oil drained
- 1/2 cup rinsed green lentils
- 6 ounces no boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 8 ounces mozzarella sliced
- 4 ounces provolone shredded
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan plus more for topping
- pesto, for serving (optional)
View Recipe Comments
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large, high-side skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the zucchini, mushroom and red pepper. Season with salt + pepper. Cook 3 minutes or until just lightly caramelized. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Stir in the tomato pasta sauce, milk and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, lentils + 1/4 cup water. Break each lasagna noodle into 2-3 pieces and stir them into the sauce, making sure most of them are submerged. Cook until the noodles are al dente and the lentils are soft, about 15 minutes. If the sauce seems like it is getting too thick, add water to thin.
- Stir in the spinach + basil until they have wilted down into the sauce. Remove from the heat and add the mozzarella, provolone and parmesan.
- Place the skillet on a large baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Remove and let sit 5 minutes. Serve with basil pesto and fresh parmesan. Enjoy!
Oh, and maybe some extra parmesan and chunky, garlicy, brown butter basil pesto. OH, oh… and some toasted bread too, obviously.