You guys are looking at the curry of summer!!!
This simple coconut mango chicken and broccoli curry is everything. It’s easy, healthy, packed with some of everyone’s favorite summer veggies (hello zucchini and summer squash, I’m talking about you!) and finished with fresh mango (which if you guys could not tell I am pretty much obsessed with this summer). All served over rice with a giant piece of fresh naan for scooping.
Let me just say that I don’t think curries are the prettiest food ever, but they are delicious.
You know how the internet can make things seem like everything is perfect? Well, I’m here to tell you it’s totally not perfect. At least not around here. I had the hardest time photographing this curry, it’s just not as pretty as most foods. The photographs pretty much just took it outta me and I reshot this dish three times before I called it quits and said the last set of photos was IT. I finally decided that even though I strive for perfection, I am not perfect and never will be. I tried to console myself with the old saying that sometimes it’s the imperfections that are most beautiful. I think I need to say this five times over in my own head…and then, maybe, it will stick.
Anyway, this rambling is more or less a pep talk for myself, but I’m hoping it may help at least one of you. I know I’m not the only one who struggles with self-doubt and the desire to always have your work be perfect.
OKAYYY. Pep talk over on to the food!
If you guys remember, I said in Sunday’s post that I’ve really been craving Indian food. For some reason I always think of Indian food as more of a fall thing. I think it’s because of the cozy spices and creamy sauces. I really wanted to make a summery Indian inspired recipe that was both cozy and light, and of course filled with summer produce.
Enter this coconut chicken curry. It’s light and summery, but yet still cozy with its creamy coconut sauce and giant side of rice…plus fresh naan (you must have the naan, it’s honestly the best). I made this recipe as soon as I returned home from Mexico, as I was really just in the mood for comfort food, and this was the perfect solution.
The entire recipe is made in ONE pan and in just about thirty minutes. Simply cook the chicken and veggies together with curry powder, garlic, and ginger, add some coconut milk, simmer a bit, and then stir in the mango just before serving, so it doesn’t turn to mush.
So simple and fast, but also so incredibly flavorful.
I used a mix of zucchini, summer squash and broccoli for my veggies and loved the combo. Something about the broccoli and squash together just works so nicely. You can of course use any mix of veggies you’d like. Bell peppers and eggplant would be extra delicious in this as well.
For this curry, I stayed clear of any tomatoes, as I didn’t want those flavors to compete with the mango…although I’m sure it would have been fine. Personally, I just LOVE a lot of mango flavor.
Also, of you are a cilantro hater, swap in basil. I’ll never understand how some people hate cilantro, but you either love it or hate it. Obviously, I’m a lover.
Double also, I know I mentioned this, but the naan is truly a must. To be honest, it’s one of the reasons I make curries in the first place. Naan is just made for scooping up a nice saucy curry. <–FACT.
Simple Coconut Mango Chicken and Broccoli Curry
Servings: 6 servings
Calories Per Serving: 484 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 rounded tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 medium summer squash and or zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 mango, diced
- juice + zest of lime
- rice, fresh naan, and roasted cashews, for serving
- 1. Melt the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is golden, about 5-8 minutes. 2. Add the chicken, curry powder, cayenne and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned. Add the garlic add ginger and cook another minute. Add the zucchini and summer squash and cook 2 minutes more. Pour in the coconut milk and add the broccoli. Bring the curry to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and the broccoli is tender.3. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro, mango, lime juice and zest. Serve the curry over a bed of rice with fresh naan. Top with cashews. Enjoy!
Lastly, a little goat cheese on top would be extra YUM…just sayin’.