Simple California Style Omelet.
Hey, hi! Let’s chat…about omelets!
And when I say omelets, I mean like a really GOOD omelet. One with the yolks, some butter, herbs and cheese.
Backyard chicken eggs, fresh herbs, a little butter, a lot of cheese, a perfectly ripe avocado, crispy bacon, charred corn and a little arugula. Totally California style, right? Simple, fresh and light, but not boring. Colorful, but not crazy… and um, so freaking good. Perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not gonna like, omelets for dinner work great for me.
Sometimes I feel like omelets can be boring and no one likes them, but then I make them and I’m like, nope these are SO good. But for real, I almost scrapped this recipe because of all my second guessing…ugh. Good news is I’m now in LOVE with it and so excited to share!
Also, clearly I am dreaming of southern California again and their warm weather, sunshine and most importantly, their farmers markets. I cannot lie, the weather here has been just so bad. Snow + lighting + more snow + wind. Enough said, right? Oh well, I’ve got to think positive… looking forward to brighter days ahead! 🙂
SO. You guys all know I have a thing for breakfast foods, I love sweet breakfasts. Pancakes, french toast, crepes, oatmeal, fruity breakfast bowls, etc, etc… I could literally go on and on. But, I also love a good savory breakfast. My all time favorite GO TO is simple toast, avocado and two over easy eggs with salt and pepper + fresh fruit. SO simple, but it’s my favorite, and I make it ALL the time. A lot of times when nights are crazy, that may even end up as dinner, or if I’m feeling like something a little different, I’ll go for an omelet.
A lot of you have been asking for more savory breakfast recipes. Enter this Cali inspired omelet.
Normally when I’m making a recipe for just myself, I’ll add a little of this and a little of that. This omelet was kind of one of those recipes. Basically, it was the contents of my fridge that day. But the combo just totally worked, plus I literally I had a meal on the table in just about twenty minutes. Like yes, please!!
Here’s how this goes. You ready? It’s gonna go fast.
To start, just whisk your eggs together with a little Kosher salt + pepper and fresh chives. I highly recommend using some super fresh eggs here as good eggs really stand out in a recipe like an omelet. Lucky for me the chickens have been laying eggs like crazy this spring, so I’m basically in egg la la land over here. Couldn’t be happier about it 🙂
OK, then add butter to a skillet and cook the omelet. Add some sun-dried tomatoes and Gruyère cheese (yes, yes, yes!). And then DONE. I like to fold the omelet like a letter. One, this helps the cheese melt and stay all warm and gooey, and two it just fits nicely on a rather large piece of toast.
Yes, the toast is a must. Obviously.
Then just maybe cook up some bacon, add an avocado, some fresh or grilled corn and arugula. Finish it with a drizzle of simple creamy cilantro tahini dressing… that you can make in like thirty seconds in the blender… and then DONE.
You can really be creative and top these omelets with whatever you have hanging around in your fridge. Leftover quinoa salad from the night before? That will surely work. Maybe a little cheddar instead of the Gruyère? For sure. Or maybe you have salmon that needs cooking? Yup, that would be DELICIOUS.
So you see, anything goes here, but never skimp on good eggs, butter, cheese and um, carbs, can’t forget those. Remember guys, carbs give you energy, and since it’s only Tuesday, we all need our fair share to help carry us until Friday. Then we can crash….oops I mean eat cookies (maybe a Friday post?) and party! ?
Serious love for this recipe guys. No joking. It’s so good and you should prolly just make it tonight for dinner. Mmmm, k? Cool.
Simple California Omelet.
- 6 eggs
- kosher salt + pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes oil reserved + tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 slices crusty whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 ears fresh corn grilled + kernels removed from the cob
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2-4 slices cooked thick cut bacon
- 2 handfuls fresh arugula
Lemony Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh fresh cilantro + basil
- kosher salt
- In a bowl, use a fork to whisk together the eggs + a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the chives.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot add 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl the pan to coat. Pour in half of the egg mixture and let it set for about 10 to 20 seconds. Use a heat-safe spatula to gently move the set eggs toward the middle of the pan, then tilt the pan so runny eggs take their place. Sprinkle on half of the sun-dried tomatoes. Allow the eggs to set almost completely and then add half the cheese to the center of the omelet. Use your spatula to gently release the underside of the omelet from the pan. Tilt the pan a little forward and back to make sure it’s not stuck anywhere. Let it set for a few seconds, then scoot it off the pan onto a plate. Immediately fold both sides over the cheese like you would a letter. The heat from the omelet will melt the cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Place each omelet on a piece of toasted, buttered bread. Add a handful of arugula, grilled corn, a slice or two of bacon plus an avocado sprinkled with salt + pepper. Drizzle each omelet with the tahini dressing (see below). EAT!
Lemony Tahini Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor, add a 1/4 cup water and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust salt + pepper to your liking. Dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Do you see the cheese?!?!?! Yes and yes and YES!