Is anyone else’s week flying by?
Because mine is and I am not sure if I am happy about it, tired or wanting it to slow down so I can get more done.
Super speedy post today because my mother is out of town with my brother and Asher needs her lunch packed, breakfast made, hair brushed so it no longer has dreads, clothes, shoes, homework done and like a gazillion other things….
All you mothers out there, you amaze me. How do you even get your thoughts in? I mean, Asher has been chating my ear off for the last twenty-four hours. NON-STOP talking. I love her, but jeez, she needs to shut it for like five minutes.
Anyway, this Shish Tawook is a recipe my brother Creighton insisted I make.
It’s marinated Lebanese chicken that you skewer and grill. It’s so, so, so simple, but packs in the flavor. He said there are three things I had to include, chicken, pita and garlic mayo. Oh, and he also said the meal is not even close to complete without a side of french fries. Could not agree more.
I switched the garlic mayo up a little and threw in some avocados and roasted garlic. I sort of despise the idea of mayo, so this is my compromise. Personally not much can beat it. So good.
Oh, and I added goat cheese too, because why not? It works.
Unfortunately, Creighton is actually not here. So I am probably torturing him with this post today. Although, he is most likely shaking his head in disgust over the avocado mayo and the added red peppers. Probably the goat cheese too. He loves cheese, but not the goat variety. Yep, he is one of the picky brothers.
But really, I promise, the avocado mayo is the mayo of the future. It’s kind of awesome with fries too.
Shish Tawook (Grilled Chicken Skewers) wirth Roasted Garlic Avocado Mayo.
Servings: 8 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 529 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 large red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus more garnish
- 4-8 pitas [homemade | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/traditional-greek-pita-bread/] or store bought, warmed
- 2-4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- French fries for serving
- In a bowl combine the lemon juice, olive oil, greek yogurt, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, salt, oregano, paprika, pepper and cinnamon. Add the chicken to a ziplock bag and pour the sauce over the chicken. Seal the bag and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates. Thread the chicken, and peppers onto metal skewers (or wood skewers that have been soaked in water). Place the chicken on the grill until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes each side. Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the skewers. You may also cook the chicken in a skillet if needed.
Roasted Garlic Avocado Mayo
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop off the top portion of the garlic head to reveal cloves. Peel any excess paper/skin off from the bulb of garlic. Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil on top the garlic cloves and cover with foil. Roast in a baking dish for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Allow to cool and then squeeze 4-8 (I used 8, but feel free to use more or less if you wish) of the garlic cloves out into a food processor or blender, reserve any remaining garlic for another use. Add the avocados, greek yogurt, olive oil, chili powder, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Remove the chicken from the skewers and place on the warmed pitas. Sprinkle with parsley and goat cheese. Serve the roasted garlic mayo on the side for dipping. Don't forget the fries! 🙂
View Recipe Comments
*Adapted, just barely from [All Recipes | http://allrecipes.com/recipe/shish-tawook-grilled-chicken/]
OK and now I must be off. Kindergarten drop off awaits me…
LAST HOURS TO VOTE!
Just a few hours left to vote and I am told it is close. If you enjoy reading this blog, I would really appreciate your vote. You can vote as much as every hour and you can also vote on your phone. Voting ends today at noon EST.
Thanks again for all of your support. The feedback I get from you guys is what makes me love doing what I do!