Caramelized Shallot and Bacon Goat Cheese Pizza. Homemade pizza dough topped with fresh summer tomatoes, tangy goat cheese, crisp bacon, basil, lots of melty cheese, and sweet and delicious caramelized shallots. Oh, and some fresh thyme and chili flakes too. Once the pizza is just out of the oven, finish with fresh basil. If you love a cheesy pizza, this is about to become a new weeknight dinner staple. Serve this cheesy pizza right out of the oven for a truly simple dinner that everyone will love.
With all the dark days and rain we’ve had, I can’t help it, I’m slightly excited for fall. Am I ready for it? No, I really haven’t had nearly enough of summer. But still, part of me is excited for cozy days and pumpkin spice.
But not anytime too soon. We’ll ease into cooler temps with simple, slightly richer, recipes like today’s pizza. I wouldn’t say this is specifically a fall recipe. But the cheesy factor definitely makes it comfort food, which I love, all year-round.
This brings me to this pizza.
It’s a combination of all the things I’m loving right now. Summer produce, fresh herbs, simplicity, and apparently lots of carbs and cheese!
Here are the details
It’s no secret that I love shallots. I think they work so well in so many recipes. They add a subtly sweet flavor that’s never overpowering, but also complimentary. They’re less intense than an onion. I love to use them with recipes that are deeply savory but could use a touch of sweetness, like pizza.
I also love balancing their sweetness with saltiness, enter the bacon. The caramelized shallots and crisp bacon are a wonderful flavor combination that’s always unexpected, yet so delicious.
Start with caramelizing the shallots. It’s way easier than you’d think. We’re going to allow the shallots to cook undisturbed in olive oil with fresh thyme. The shallots will get a nice caramelization on the bottom and soften all around.
They smell delicious as they cook. They taste slightly sweet, salty, and just a little bit buttery. You will love them.
The rest is assembly. Fresh pizza dough topped with fig preserves. I know this is not a usual pizza topping, but very delicious with the salty bacon, sweet shallots, and pinch of chili flakes. Trust me.
Then fresh summer tomatoes. For the tomato, I like to grate it on a box grater to really break it down into a sauce. Then toss it with garlic and salt, simple. Just let the flavors of the tomato shine.
Next, add the goat cheese, then layer on fresh basil, and crisp bacon. Top with mozzarella and add the shallots last. I like to leave the shallots for the top of the pizza. This allows them to get crispy in the oven.
Throw the pizza in the oven and cook until the cheese is bubbling up and the crust is golden.
Top with lots of fresh basil, slice, eat, and enjoy!! This is definitely one of my favorite pizzas right now. It’s honestly good for any time of year. It would be especially fun for upcoming game nights! So crazy that football season is about to start back up soon!
Looking for other pizza recipes? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Caramelized Shallot and Bacon Goat Cheese Pizza, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Caramelized Shallot and Bacon Goat Cheese Pizza
Calories Per Serving: 267 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 shallots, halved or quartered
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- kosher salt and pepper
- chili flakes
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, at room temp
- 1-2 tablespoons fig preserves
- 1 tomato, grated on a box grater
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450° F. 2. In a skillet, combine the olive oil, shallots, and thyme, cook over medium heat until the oil is hot. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook 10-20 minutes, until the shallots are very soft and caramelized. Stir and cook another 5 minutes. Add the chili flakes. Remove from the heat.3. On a lightly floured surface, push the dough out until it's thin (about a 10-12 inch circle). Transfer the dough to a baking sheet. Mix the grated tomato with the garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread the fig preserves and tomatoes over the dough. Add the goat cheese, bacon, and basil. Top with mozzarella. Pull the shallots apart and arrange them over the cheese. 4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil. Slice and enjoy!