Sesame Roasted Asparagus, Egg and Bacon Salad.
If there’s one recipe that screams Easter, this Sesame Roasted Asparagus, Egg and Bacon Salad is it.
Well, I guess there are a few recipes that scream Easter, like this carrot cake, and maybe this roasted rack of lamb. But I dunno I feel like anything with asparagus and eggs is so very EASTER. Maybe I should have said…if there’s one salad that screams Easter, this is it.
I don’t post side dishes very often (although oddly, I did post these crispy oregano smashed potatoes as another Easter side just last week). I tend to sway towards making full on dinners. Not just like one part of a dinner, but like the whole shebang. I guess I just like the thought of presenting you with a FULL plate. But today, I’m sharing a delicious side, that’s not only a great dish for dinner, but for brunch as well…so kind of a double duty side! Totally cheesy, but I mean, it is true!
Ok, so here’s the deal with this basic salad. I’m one of those people who loves asparagus simply roasted with olive oil, salt, and pepper. It’s just so good when it’s super simple like that. With this dish, I really wanted the asparagus flavor to shine, but I didn’t want to present you guys with just roasted asparagus. So I came up with this salad. It’s kind of like an asparagus BLT, but with soft-boiled eggs and a whole lotta of buffalo mozzarella. And ok, some edible flowers too because I am totally head over heals obsessed with them. Like it’s seriously becoming a problem.
Maybe we can call this dish a BAT (bacon, asparagus and tomato)? Ahh, no that really doesn’t work, but you get the idea. The asparagus is replacing the lettuce, which I personally think is pretty great.
The real secret here though, is the way that everything gets cooked. When I was testing this recipe, the thought of frying bacon on the stove sounded really just…not fun. Cooking bacon on the stove is the greasiest, grease fest ever, and I really just don’t like it. As I was laying the asparagus out on the baking sheet, it suddenly came to me…cook the bacon over the asparagus. I know, like duh, how obvious! But you guys, laying the bacon over the asparagus allows the bacon fat to drip down and flavor the asparagus. It’s actually kind of genius, and there’s NO mess to clean up afterwards….well you have your pan to clean, but that’s a heck of a lot better than a whole stove if you ask me!
I topped the asparagus and bacon with fresh cherry tomatoes for a burst of fresh color and flavor, and then of course, some soft-boiled eggs. You could also use all those hard-boiled eggs you guys might be dying this weekend with your kids.
I know that Asher is dying to dye some eggs. I told her that should be something she does with Mom, but then she said that I’d be more creative. No offense Mom, but she might be kind of right (we’ll invite you down). After Asher said that I did a little googling and came across a whole bunch of dye free ways to dye eggs. I am SO into it, now I actually want to dye the eggs…can I please be eight years old again?!
PS. are you dying eggs this weekend? That was the best Easter activity when I was a kid. Dying eggs and the giant Easter egg hunt my mom would set up for my brothers and I. Again, can I please be eight years old…not really, but maybe for like five minutes!
Anyway, to finish up this salad I really wanted something cheesy. I had my heart set on one of the balls of buffalo mozzarella that’s tied into a knot at the top, but my local Whole Foods was out, so regular buffalo mozz it was. Then I drizzled it with a balsamic vinaigrette and done.
Pretty quick and simple, but perfect for spring. This would also make a great summer side to just about any meal. Plus, it’s kind of gorgeous with the pops of color from the tomatoes and eggs. And come one, lets not forget the crispy, salty bacon. Perfection when paired with asparagus, eggs…and cheese!
Sesame Roasted Asparagus, Egg and Bacon Salad
Keyword: asparagus and bacon, hearty salad, quick meal
This isn't just any ordinary salad!
- 3 bunches thin asparagus, ends trimmed
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella or burrata cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-6 soft or hard boiled eggs, halved
- edible flowers, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. On a large baking sheet, toss together the asparagus, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the sesame seeds and toss once more, arrange the asparagus in an even layer on the baking sheet. Lay the bacon flat over the asparagus. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is crispy. Remove from the oven and drain off most of the bacon grease. Add the basil and gently toss.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the olive oil, balsamic, lemon juice, and a pinch each of salt & pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
4. Arrange the asparagus and bacon on a platter. Tear the cheese and scatter over the asparagus. Add the tomatoes, and eggs. Serve drizzled with the balsamic vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Spring on a pretty platter…and delicious too! Yes!