I think if there was ever a potato side dish to make, this is it.
There’s nothing not to love about these crispy oregano smashed potatoes with feta and lemon…and yes, the title pretty much tells you everything you need to know. These are simple, but so mouth wateringly delicious and addicting, I mean, addictingly good.
As I mentioned in yesterday, an Easter side dish is on the menu today, and honestly I cannot think of a better one than these potatoes. Plus, they carry on this whole Greek inspired Easter menu I have going this week…hello to this Meze Platter and roasted rack of lamb. And while this croissant french toast is not Greek, it will make for the perfect Easter brunch…I mean, if you’re looking for an idea. 😉
I don’t know what it is about simple potatoes recipes, but they are the ones I’m constantly making over and over for my family. Even if it’s just simply potatoes, salt and pepper, my family goes crazy for them. We all love roasted potatoes, but oddly I don’t have many of them on the site!
Clearly this needs to change ASAP, starting with this recipe.
This combo of flavors is one I just cannot get enough of, and while these potatoes are simple, and the flavors well-known, I feel like this recipe is just a little more special than all the rest out there. Oregano is the picture perfect herb to pair with roasted potatoes. It holds up well to the cooking time and adds just the right amount of flavor without completely overpower everything else.
Then there’s the whole roasted lemon thing going on. I feel like a lot of you might be weirded out about actually eating the lemon, but when roasted and finely chopped it adds SO much to this recipe. Here’s how it works. Simply roast the lemon alongside the potatoes and then finely chop to make into somewhat of a vinaigrette by adding a little olive oil, fresh basil, salt and pepper. The vinaigrette then gets drizzled over the roasted potatoes and feta, just like you’d drizzle dressing on a salad. You guys, these ingredients together are just the best of the best flavor wise. All that said, if the whole roasted lemon is just totally freaking you out, no worries, just don’t add it! While I personally love the flavor, it’s most definitely not a must, and the potatoes are going to be amazing with or without it, so do what you please!
And as if that was not enough, there’s the feta, which I feel needs zero explanation…but since it’s me, and I like to ramble, here I go. The feta is tangy and salty and balances out the tart lemon flavors. OkOK and come on, we all know potatoes and salt go hand in hand (umm potato chips…french fries…+ plenty of salt) so feta is the perfect addition for a pile of crispy roasted smashed potatoes. <–trust me.
PS. there is maybe just a smidge of parmesan in here too.
I used a mix of baby Yukon Gold and red skin potatoes. I like the color from the red skins and the textures of the Yukon. Any baby potato will work though, just try to find some that are all similar in size so they cook up at the same times. These potatoes work great to make in advance. Just roast them, smash them and then finish cooking just before you’re ready to serve…and um, yes, these are still almost as delicious at room temp…ok, and late snacking has maybe even happened once or twice as well.
Sorry not sorry.
So have I convinced you?!
I’m desperately hoping so because like I’ve mentioned a million times over now, I LOVE these potatoes. They’re complete comfort food, yet they feel so perfect for spring!
The major bonus here? These potatoes look super pretty on the table when topped with the fresh basil and feta, cool, cool. Easter dinner here we come…
Crispy Oregano Smashed Potatoes with Feta and Lemon
- 2 pounds mixed baby potatoes
- 1/2 of a lemon, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese sliced or crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. On a large baking sheet, toss together the potatoes, lemon, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a small pinch of salt. Transfer to the oven and roast 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove the lemon from the pan and then use the back of a spatula or a fork to gently press down on the potatoes, smashing them to about 1/4 inch thickness.
3. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic and oregano. Spoon the mix evenly over the smashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan. Return the potatoes to the oven and roast another 20-25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
4. Meanwhile, finely chop the roasted lemon (peel and all) and add to a small bowl along with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the basil, and a pinch of salt.
5. Drizzle the potatoes with lemon mixture and serve with feta. Eat!
*inspired by Delicious Magazine April 2017 Issue.
But first dessert tomorrow…mwahahaha.