I am breaking out the dork in me!!
And I’m bringing more pumpkin to the table (told you I wasn’t joking about all the pumpkin!). YES.
And talking Harry Potter! Triple YES.
Last October I made Death By Butterbeer Cupcakes (with treacle butter frosting and chocolate covered pretzels!!). This year, I took butterbeer and made it even better by adding chocolate to it. Everything’s better with chocolate (as if you didn’t already know that), especially when that chocolate is milk chocolate.
Actually, I’m usually an all dark chocolate girl, but this butterbeer calls for milk chocolate. Be a kid again and break out the creamy, caramely, brown chocolate that we all love. <–DO IT. This pumpkin butterbeer hot chocolate is worth it, and it’s Friday…anything goes!!
Such fun things today! First, this recipe for pumpkin butterbeer HOT CHOCOLATE, and second another video!!
Many of you have expressed that you are loving the videos, so I’m trying my best to keep them coming!! That said, todays video is going to show you A LOT of what it’s ACTUALLY like in my kitchen…craziness!
Basically here’s what happened. Kai and I shot this video toward the end of the day and I think we were both a little slap happy, and totally ready to be DONE. Plus, we made this video on a Friday, AND, it was the day before Kai was packing up to leave for school in LA 🙁 So yeah, we were maybe not on our A game…as you can see by my hair.
But then again, on any normal day my hair probably looks worse, so whatever, I’m over it. The video is just goofy and fun. Obviously I think you can can figure out how to make butterbeer hot cocoa on your own, but since I am a huge dork, and since I love Harry Potter, I thought it might be fun to make a video.
Also, let me tell you about those “broomsticks”. They didn’t make the cut for the final recipe because I just could not figure out a way to make them in a way that I was completely happy with. Yes, they are delicious, I mean they are chocolate covered pretzels with buttered phyllo dough on the ends, but the truth is, I just could not get them to turn out.
SO… If you are interested, all I did was to bake pretzel rods in a 350 degree F. oven with phyllo attached at the bottom and shaped into the best broom like shape I could make, for 10-15 minutes. Then I dipped the ends of the pretzels in chocolate and placed them in the freezer until the chocolate set.
If any of you do try these broomsticks and have success, let me know your secret!!
OKAY, and when you get to the part in the video where Asher WILL NOT try the butterbeer, just know this, the only reason she would not take a sip was because she had taken one five minutes earlier and burned her tongue. This meant she would not try it again until the butterbeer was basically cold, well after we were done shooting the video!
Also know that literally the second the camera stopped filming she took a sip and had the most perfect camera ready reaction…but ahh, the camera was not filming 🙁
And finally, the milk chocolate. Oh the milk chocolate! Originally, I had planned on using dark chocolate, but I completely messed up the first round of ingredients for the video, so we had to re-shoot. The issue was that I was out of dark chocolate. Hmm. Kai brought to my attention that I had a bag of Hershey’s kisses just sitting there. He also said he’d be happy to peel the wrappers…wonder why??
So I used milk chocolate…unhappy at first, but then SO happy because OMG the milk chocolate MAKES this butterbeer like WHOA BABY! It’s good, and the milk chocolate is the secret. Trust me on this and just use the good stuff the first time.
You know you want to, and like I said, it’s Friday – anything goes!
Oh, and FYI, dry ice is maybe the most fun thing ever. Just sayin.
Pumpkin Butterbeer Hot Chocolate.
Servings: 3 Mugs
Calories Per Serving: 1319 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch sauce homemade recipe below
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds removed or 1 vanilla extract
View Recipe Comments
- Add the milk to a large heavy bottomed pot. Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, milk chocolate, pumpkin, butterscotch sauce, vanilla, butter and bourbon (if using). Place the pot over medium low heat until the milk is scalding, but not boiling. Be sure to stir the pot often to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom and burning.
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch whipped cream. Add the cream to a large mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla bean and whip until combined. Stir in the buttersctoch, leaving streaks in the whipped cream. Keep in the fridge until read to serve.
- Once the hot chocolate is steaming, ladle into mugs and dollop with cream. If you want to be fancy, you can sprinkle the top of the cream with edible gold stars!
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pot. Add the brown sugar, heavy cream and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and bourbon, if using.
Tonight? This butterbeer + Harry Potter?? Doing it.