Hey, hi! I’m back after three full days away!!
I know, I know, such a long time for me. I will not lie, it was hard to stay away for so long!! All month-long I have posted every day, so three days away was a long time!! Hehe, I just love you guys SO much.
Sorry, I’m feeling all cheesy today, it’s this whole holiday season, it has me so happy!
But um, whoa, feeding 19 people night after night after night… AND all in a row, it’s kind of a lot of work. I think I could sleep for DAYYYS. I’m sure a lot of you know the feeling.
So how was everyone’s Christmas?? Tell me all the fun details, please?!? What did you eat, what did you get? Did you hang with your family? Tell me all the details, I SO want to know everything!!
Alright, can we talk a little about New Years Eve though? Every year my family does a Mexican Feast and this year will be no exception. Over the next four days we are talking all Mexican food and it’s going to be delicious.
I’m kicking things off today with this yummy pomegranate guacamole with plantain chips. It is maybe my favorite snack/appetizer, and it’s PERFECT for New Year’s Eve. It’s festive, easy to prepare and totally a crowd pleaser.
If you’ve never had plantain chips, now is the time to try them. I sprinkled mine with a chili salt, and honestly, they are addicting. I know you guys will love them!! Plus, this is actually a pretty healthy way to start your New Years Eve off. These chips are light…meaning you’ll still have room for all the yummy mains… plus be good to mix in a few drinks as well! YES.
Pomegranate Guacamole with Fried Plantain Chips.
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 239 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 3 large ripe hass avocados halved, seeded and peeled (they have to be ripe!)
- 1 large or 2 small limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 leave large jalapeño seeded + chopped ( some of the seeds in for a little heat)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped (or more to your liking)
- arils from 1 pomegranate
- salt to taste
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese optional
- 4 inch yellow plantains sliced into 1/2 rounds
- oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
View Recipe Comments
- Add the avocado halves to a medium size mixing bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the avocados and toss well to coat. Add the cumin. Now grab a fork and lightly mash the avocados. I like to keep my guacamole on the chunky side. Next fold in the chopped jalapeño, cilantro, pomegranate arils and a pinch of salt. Stir in the feta cheese (if using). Taste and season with more salt if desired. Grab some plantain chips (recipe below) and dig in!
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder and salt.
- Heat an inch or so of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the plantains and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until just lightly golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Now transfer the plantains to a cutting board and, using the back of a wooden spoon, smash them down into round flat disks.
- Return the plantains to the hot oil and fry another 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden and crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with chili salt. Chips are best eaten right after frying, but any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Pomegranate Guacamole with Fried Plantain Chips, I’ll take the whole plate. PLEASE. 🙂
So good!! Fun and festive holiday app and super easy. Didn’t have time to do plantains, served with blue corn chips. Great combo of flavors, will be making again.
Happy Monday!!☃️ I truly appreciate you making this recipe and sharing your review, so glad it was enjoyed! xT
This was delicious! My husband and I ate half the bowl just ourselves!
Thanks so much for making the recipe, I am so glad it was enjoyed! Have a great week! xTieghan
I really enjoyed reading it..YEAH!! awesome! Thank you for sharing
Thanks!! so happy you enjoyed!
Hi! This looks awesome and thinking about making this for Rosh Hashana (jewish new year) pomegranates are a traditional rosh hashana food so this is perfect! A few questions:
1. how in advance in the day can I make the guac? (I am having company over at 4:30pm)
2. can you use bananas instead of plantains?
Thanks so much!
HI! You can make the guac up to 4 hours ahead, just keep it well covered. Bananas will not work because they are not firm enough. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!! 🙂
Hi! This looks great. How in advance can you make the plantain chips? Thanks!
Hi Hallie!! Thank you! The chips are best eaten after frying, but they are still good up to 24 hours later. Maybe just heat them in the oven until they are crisp again? Maybe 350 degrees? Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you so much! 🙂
your dish made me a hero! next time i will slice them a bit thicker so when i press them it has a bit more to go. i dusted them with adobo instead of chili. then served them with Pear and smoked gouda quesadillas with a pom salsa. rave reviews. no leftovers. your reciepes are SPOT ON!! THANK YOU!!!
YEAH!! That is awesome! Thanks!!!
This dish and your photography is absolutely gorgeous! I love the contrast between the guacamole and pom seeds xo
I did this recipe once, but with less ingredients.
If I try again, should I tag the pic in instagram or twitter?
Yes, please! I would love to see it!
Tieghan! I just went to the health food store to get some fried plantains because I keep seeing them everywhere, and they look amazing, but they didn’t have any 🙁
Seriously everything about this looks so delicious. When I find me some plantains, I’m making your recipe first!
My Christmas was wonderful! Spent quality time with nieces, played lots of games, ate a ton of homemade, delicious food, and I’m still kind of mourning the end of it!
I’m glad you got a break, but I love that you post every day. It’s inspiring to me!
oh no! 🙁 I hope you can find some soon!
Thanks and have a Happy New Year!
This looks delicious! Major heart eyes. My obsession with pomegranate has no boundaries this year and this guac is screaming my name….
hehe! Thanks and have a Happy New Year!
We just did our last Christmas celebration today with my brother and sister-in-law. It was nice…brunch followed by gifts, and then a cozy afternoon spent hanging out by the fire!
I love this guac, the pom seeds are just stunning. I want to dive in! 🙂
Awe! That sounds so nice!!
Have a happy New Years!