Keeping things colorful and easy today with this Pesto Caprese Chicken in White Wine Pan Sauce. Seasoned chicken seared until golden, with sweet summer tomatoes, bacon, and a savory white wine pan sauce. The chicken is finished with basil pesto, mozzarella cheese, and fresh heirloom tomatoes. It’s simple, oh so pretty, and made in just under thirty minutes.
You know it’s the end of summer when the tomato recipes just keep coming. Hoping you’re not tired of them just yet because I think this Caprese chicken is my favorite tomato recipe of the summer.
Originally this recipe started off completely different. There actually weren’t any tomatoes or pesto involved. But when I looked over on the counter to see a basket my dad put together full of both heirloom and cherry tomatoes, I knew I needed to make something with those guys.
And since the garden is still full of basil, I wanted to include that too!
And just like that, an entirely new dish was created in my head. I quickly texted my mom to confirm that this was indeed a solid idea. She agreed, and said it sounded delish!
And onto the details…
This is yet another skillet recipe, so as you might imagine, it’s pretty darn simple.
Start with the chicken. Instead of just leaving it plain, I dredged the chicken through a mix of flour, parmesan, and Italian seasoning. It makes the chicken feel a little fancy and, of course, is much more flavorful too.
Now start cooking
Cook the bacon until crispy, then pull it out of the pan. If you don’t love bacon you can skip it. But I do think it adds a lot of flavor to the white wine sauce.
Now add that chicken to the same skillet and cook until golden on both sides. Pour in some white wine and simmer for a few minutes to help the sauce thicken.
Remove the skillet from the heat and arrange the cherry tomatoes around the chicken. Spoon the basil pesto over each piece of chicken. Then top with a slice or two of mozzarella, and a slice or two of tomatoes.
Season everything with a drizzle of olive oil and chili flakes.
Finish the dish off in the oven. Serve it up warm, while the sauce is bubbling and the cheesy is melty.
Don’t forget to add back the bacon and lots of fresh basil before serving though!!
And that’s it.
The chicken is insanely delicious, think a little crispy, seasoned wonderfully with a good mix of Italian seasonings and basil pesto. And cheesy too!
The sauce is rich and savory with hints of sweet wine, burst cherry tomatoes, and crispy bacon.
Perfect for spooning over this cheesy chicken. Everything together is just a wonderful mix of summer flavors that feels a little cozier for the end of the season!
What’s great about this dish is that even though it’s tomato based, it can easily be made from now throughout the month of September, and even into October.
Plus it’s quick and simple. The ideal weeknight dinner that’s pretty enough to serve up on weekends too!
Looking for other Caprese recipes, try these:
One Pot 4 Cheese Caprese Mac and Cheese
Lastly, if you make this Pesto Caprese Chicken in White Wine Pan Sauce, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Pesto Caprese Chicken in White Wine Pan Sauce
Calories Per Serving: 532 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or use gluten free
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- chili flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour, parmesan, and Italian seasoning in a shallow bowl. Dredge both sides of the chicken through the flour, tossing to coat. 3. Cook the bacon until crisp in a large oven safe skillet. Remove from the skillet and set aside.4. In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to medium low and pour in the wine. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, arrange the cherry tomatoes around the chicken. Spoon the pesto over each piece of chicken, then add a slice of mozzarella, and 1-2 tomatoes slices to each piece of chicken. Drizzle everything with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. 5. Bake 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Top with bacon and fresh basil. Enjoy!