Naughty Nice Hot Cocoa with Spiked Eggnog Marshmallows.
Everyone, meet Santa’s favorite mug of hot cocoa.
It’s a little naughty, but so, so nice.
And decadent. Yes, very decadent, but all hot cocoa should be decadent this close to Christmas. It’s cozy time!
Although, right now for me it’s moving time. Or it will be soon. Sometime today, once the barn gets cleaned of dust, hammers, screws and plastic, it’s time to move my little amount of stuff into the barn. Can you believe this is finally happening? It’s been almost exactly a year since I told you guys my plans (like to the day) and I am beyond excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s been a stressful few months… to say the least.
And I am so excited to finally have my own workspace!! It will be so nice to still be so close to my family, but have my own office and home. So ready for this.
Don’t get too excited though, while the barn is finally move in ready, it’s not really done done. I have a working kitchen and my marble counters are beautiful. So happy I switched from the granite that I didn’t like, to the marble that I LOVE. Now I just need to figure out how to keep it stain free. YIKES.
My appliances are all in and working and my bedroom is done. Of course at this point, I only have a mattress and zero furniture, but as long my kitchen is good to go I am happy. I actually have not been down there in days. Meaning I haven’t fully seen the counters in place, the appliances installed and my gorgeous wood floors in my bedroom. I know, what?!? At this point, I am just kind of thinking I’d rather see everything all together, clean and pretty. That way there is still somewhat of an element of surprise and wow. And I know it will be a good surprise because for once I have only heard very good things throughout the last week. Yeah!!
So while I am moving in, there is still so much to be done. My whole dream pantry has not even been started yet… because we totally ran out of money, which is also why I have zero furniture. But these things will come within the next few months. Starting with a desk (I dream of big one where I can spread out all my recipes, photos and inspirations), a bed frame and then the pantry. Like I said, as long as my kitchen works I am so happy. And it works!
Thinking I may need to show you guys at least a few photos of the kitchen and my pretty doors that came all the way from Mexico (uh huh) pretty soon. I should have a little time to take some photos over Christmas. Sneak peaks may be popping up on Instagram though, so follow along. I mean I gotta show you my counters and stove… and my floors! Ok, sorry, getting a little excited.
But really, can you say best Christmas gift ever? I think so… ah but, I may be kind of broke now. It was worth it!
With guests that have already arrived and the big crew coming in tomorrow and a few more over the next few days, posts may be getting a bit short. But keep coming back because I actually have too many recipes to share, so I am not skipping one day from now until Christmas. Which means, tomorrow I have something sweet to share too. So good.
Today though, naughty nice hot cocoa and spiked eggnog marshmallows. Maybe the best kind of Christmas drink ever. Or really, dessert because this is rich, creamy and full of all things naughty and nice.
The base of the hot cocoa is coconut milk. I promise, canned coconut milk makes for the very best hot chocolate. Even if you do not like coconut, use the coconut milk, it’s so silky, creamy and perfect. I spiked the hot cocoa with two liquors. Kahlua, which is one of my favorite ingredients to use around Christmas time – it’s the star ingredient in my mom’s Death By Chocolate that she makes every Christmas Eve (that I will forever love). Plus coconut rum, because well, there’s coconut and rum!
Really, you’d think that I loved drinks or something. Honestly, I only do alcohol with my chocolate. Well some wine in my dishes too. I am weird, yes this is true.
The hot cocoa is really pretty simple. Just a good balance of chocolate, vanilla and creamy coconut milk….with a little bit of booze for your naughty side. What? It’s Christmas we all need something to drink like this. We do.
And the marshmallows. Obviously, you do not have to make these, but you should. Homemade marshmallows always win and they are so easy too! PLUS these are spiked with eggnog and coconut rum.
What here does not scream “MAKE ME”? So make um!
Oh and I’d be pretty proud if you served your hot cocoa with a side of these sugar cookies. Because hot cocoa and sugar cookies go hand in hand.
Naughty Nice Coconut KahluaHot Cocoa with Spiked Eggnog Marshmallows.
Spiked Eggnog Marshmallows
Naughty Nice Hot Cocoa
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups canned coconut milk I like to use half lite and half full fat
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 2 ounces milk chocolate chopped
- 4 ounces kahlua optional
- 1-2 ounces hazelnut liquor optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean split lengthwise and seeds scraped or 1 vanilla extract
- whipped cream + toasted coconut for topping
Spiked Eggnog Marshmallows
- Line an 8-x8-inch pan with parchment. Spray lightly with cooking spray. (A little spray underneath the parchment will also help hold it in place.)
- Pour the water into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and allow the mixture to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar, eggnog, and maple syrup in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook without stirring until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees F, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the syrup mixture into gelatin mixture and whisk on low until combined. Once combined, increase speed to high and beat until thick and fluffy, and mixture triples in volume, about 10 minutes. Add vanilla beans seeds and coconut rum, beat until well combined.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Use a lightly oiled offset spatula to smooth out top (top surface will not be completely even). Set aside to cool at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
- Use a serrated knife and slice into 1-inch cubes. Whisk together the powdered sugar and cornstarch until well combined. Toss cut marshmallows in powdered sugar mixture. Dust with nutmeg. Marshmallows will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You may also dip the marshmallow in melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt. <--DO IT it is so good.
Naughty Nice Hot Cocoa
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, coconut sugar and salt. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the coconut milk. Bring it to a simmer, stirring every few minutes. Sprinkle the dry chocolate mixture over the hot milk, turning the heat down to low. Whisk continuously until smooth (do not let it boil), then whisk in the chopped chocolate and vanilla beans. Stir in the Kahlua and hazelnut liquor. Serve warm with eggnog marshmallow, whipped cream and toasted coconut.
JUST yes. I can feel it warming me up just looking at these pics. Time to make more.