Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad.
Hola!! Sending you a little Italian all the way from Mexico!
Hoping everyone had an amazing 4th of July! My family and I are still in Mexico and today we are celebrating my oldest brother Creighton’s birthday. I’ll be home tomorrow night, but until then I’m enjoying the Mexican salty air and sunshine!
Oddly, today I am sharing a bit more of an Italian recipe with you guys, but don’t worry as soon as I get back I’m going to be recreating some of the amazing Mexican meals we have had here!
In the meantime, it’s Tortellini Pasta Salad, which you may or may not know that I love! I made this salad last week after it was requested by the family that I make a tortellini pasta salad. And by family I really mean Lyndsie, who said I absolutely NEEDED a tortellini pasta salad on the blog. Not going to lie, I was a little hesitant at first, only because I feel like a tortellini pasta salad is nothing new, but I’m so very excited with this recipe and how it turned out. I actually think it’s the best pasta salad I’ve made to date.
The secret is all in the olive oil. Instead of a traditional vinaigrette I made a herbed oil by using garlic, slow cooked bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and herbs. Then just pour the warm oil over the tortellini and toss everything together with fresh mozzarella, provolone, arugula, tons of fresh basil, and a drizzle of red wine vinegar.
So so good!
This recipe is perfect for making a few days ahead and letting sit in the fridge. I swear the longer it sits the more flavor it develops.
It also uses up some awesome summer produce in the form of bell peppers, tomatoes, arugula, and fresh garden herbs.
And I love that not only is this made with cheese tortellini (or spinach), but that it also uses fresh mozzarella and provolone. You know me…cheese!!!
OkOK, and with that I am out for the day! Spending my last day in Mexico with my family, having fun and finally taking a break from work.
Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Italian
Keyword: Italian salad, pasta main course, pasta salad
This pasta salad is full of flavors from Italy
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of crush red pepper flakes
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 16 ounces (2 cups) tortellini, cheese or spinach
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly torn
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (a grainy type is preferred)
- 1/2 cup provolone (cubed)
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella balls
- 3-4 ounces salami, roughly chopped
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, and a pinch of both crushed red pepper and salt. Cook until the tomatoes just begin to burst and the garlic is fragrant, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the tortellini according to package directions until al dente. Drain and then add the tortellini to a large salad bowl.
3. Pour the olive oil over the tortellini. Add the red wine vinegar and mustard and toss to combine. Add the arugula, basil, provolone, mozzarella, and salami and toss.
4. Serve the salad warm or cold. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Have a great Wednesday everyone, and maybe enjoy some pasta for dinner!!! YUM!!!