20 Minute Crispy Honey Ginger Salmon.
You know the one thing I love about summer cooking?
Well actually there are a lot of things I love about summer cooking, but what I love most is that fact that summer recipes are usually simple, and require very little time to make. This salmon is 100% a summer recipe. It can be ready to eat in just about twenty minutes and involves only pantry staple ingredients and fresh summer produce. Yes, please!
WATCH THE HOW-TO VIDEO:
I’ve been wanting to make a crispy glazed salmon like this one for forever now. One of my favorite flavors is sweet and spicy and I love the combo on pretty much any kind of seafood. Since my motto right now is all things simple, easy, and healthy…ish, I figured this salmon would be prefect for today! Plus, with the 4th of July this past Tuesday, a lot of us have been on vacation this past week. Therefore, I thought we all might be in need of a healthier recipe as we start to close out the week. But don’t worry, as I do on most Fridays, I’ve got something sweet for you guys tomorrow!
Okok, here’s how this salmon goes down. You’ll want to find really good salmon fillets with the skin on. Yes you guys, leave that skin on. It’s add flavor while the salmon cooks, keeping the fish moist. Plus the crispy skin is actually incredibly delicious.<– kind weird to some, but I swear it’s really good!
The sauce is a simple base of honey, chiles, a little soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and lime…that’s it. I know it doesn’t seem like much but I promise it is so good. The honey thickens and glazes the salmon creating the perfect sticky sauce to coat the fish. Because I like a little spice to balance out the sweet honey, I also added some chili paste and ginger.
To top the dish off I made an Asian summer slaw with purple cabbage, thinly sliced nectarines, and a mix of other veggies.
When I served this to my family before leaving for Mexico I made a side of rice and doubled the slaw! It’s a great healthy dinner for just about any night of the week.
Also, and I know I’ve totally said this before, but when the weather is hot and the sun is out, I try to spend a little less time in the kitchen cooking, and a little more time outside enjoying the summer sun. Which is another reason why I forced myself to come to Mexico and mostly unplug from work life for a quick second.
Even though I have not totally disconnected, it was nice to take break and hang with my family. The internet is pretty much non-existent here, so I’m so sorry if any of you are waiting for a response to a question. I’m hoping to get back to you all tomorrow, sorry for the inconvenience, I’ll be home tonight and will be working on getting caught back up!
I’m sad to leave Mexico, but feeling ready to get back to it! In the meantime, I’m leaving you with honestly one of the bestest everyday salmon recipes!
20 Minute Crispy Honey Ginger Salmon
Asian Summer Slaw
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 nectarines thinly, sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- red or green jalapeños, chopped
- pinch of kosher salt
1. Preheat the broiler to high.
2. Rub the salmon all over with sesame oil. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
3. In a small bowl, combine honey, sambal oelek, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lime zest and juice. Pour the sauce into the skillet and allow it to boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add salmon, skin side up. Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil for 2-3minutes, watching closely until the salmon skin is crisp.
4. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the slaw and toss to combine.
5. Serve the salmon topped with the slaw and drizzled with any extra sauce in the pan. Enjoy!
For real, this sauce is perfection.