Instant Pot BBQ Beer Pulled Chicken Tacos with Ranch Corn Slaw.
Weeknight style Instant Pot BBQ Beer Pulled Chicken Tacos…with spicy avocado jalapeño ranch and sweet corn slaw. Because loaded tacos are just better. Shredded chicken in a spicy BBQ beer sauce stuffed into warmed tortillas to make the best saucy tacos. All made in the instant pot (along with slow cooker and stove-top variations). Serve each taco with a creamy, spicy avocado jalapeño sauce, fresh corn slaw, and a little cheddar cheese too. The perfect weeknight dinner…comes together in minutes and is so delicious too! Bonus, this saucy BBQ chicken is great leftover and piled high onto your favorite tortilla chips from some seriously delicious BBQ chicken nachos.
Say hello to your new favorite weeknight taco. I know, BBQ chicken tacos sound a little off, but trust me, these are so good. Habitual actually, because anything with sweet and spicy BBQ sauce is always fingerlickin’ good.
The one thing I have on my mind right now more than anything is back to school. Somehow we have entered into late August. Little sister Asher is headed back to school this Thursday, and sadly summer is starting to wind down. Just writing that has me a little sad. Most summers I’m ready to move ahead and enter into fall. But this year, I wish summer could stay a bit longer. Anyone else?
So with that mindset, I’m holding onto summer in every which way possible, and trying to incorporate all the summer produce I can get my hands on. Today it’s corn, tomorrow it’ll be plums…then more corn, zucchini, herbs, sweet peaches, and everything else. These seasonal recipes are always my favorite and these tacos are no exception. Not only are these tacos easy to make, they’re a great way to use up summer cabbage, corn, and herbs. They’re also perfect for busy weeknights. And even better for upcoming Monday night football…currently all my brothers and dad seem to talk about these days. They’re also just plain delicious.
Here is how you make these BBQ beer pulled chicken tacos.
First up, you can make this chicken in the instant pot, the slow cooker, or on the stove-top. I wanted to make sure that everyone could enjoy these saucy tacos so I gave directions for all.
You’ll want to combine the chicken with a few seasonings, your favorite beer, and your go-to BBQ sauce. I’m a huge fan of my homemade BBQ sauce. I also really like Primal Kitchen BBQ sauce, which is what I use when I don’t make my own. You can either cook quickly in the instant pot, or cook low and slow in the slow cooker. For this recipe, either option is just as good. It just depends on how little or how much time you have. Once September hits, I always prefer slow cooking so that warming smells can run through my house. It’s always kind of cozy to slow cook once the weather cools off a bit. But until then, I use the instant pot.
Now, if you don’t love beer or just don’t drink it, you can easily use chicken broth, or even apple cider, in place of the beer. The beer adds a deep flavor to the sauce, but it’s definitely not a must, so do what works best for you!
While the chicken is cooking, make the avocado ranch, which I took straight out of the original HBH cookbook. I LOVE this ranch so freaking much. It’s light, healthy, tangy, and really great with so many things. It’s just a simple mix of ripe avocado, tangy buttermilk, herbs, spicy jalapeño, a squeeze of lime, and a pinch of salt. Simple, but good.
The ranch is also used in the sweet corn slaw, which is just shredded cabbage, grilled corn, and chives. Tossing the slaw with the ranch gives it so much flavor, but keeps the recipe incredibly fresh and simple too.
Once the chicken is finished cooking, shred, and stuff it into warmed tortillas. Then add sharp cheddar cheese, plenty of slaw, and extra ranch for serving.
It’s a very different taco, but again, trust me. These tacos are a game-changer…
And speaking of games. These are not only great for busy weeknights, but how fun will these be for Monday (Thursday+Sunday) night football! The chicken can slow cook all day, then everyone can build their own tacos for dinner.
Easy, fun, and all-around good. Excited to have these tacos in my rotation.
Oh, and a meal prep tip for you! You can easily make a big batch of this chicken on Sunday or Monday nights. Then just serve up throughout the week. You can use the chicken in tacos, incorporate into salads for lunch, or my personal favorite…repurpose the chicken to make some serious KILLER nachos. Oh my gosh, that will be so good, you must do this!
If you make these instant pot BBQ beer pulled chicken tacos, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Watch The How To Video:
Instant Pot BBQ Beer Pulled Chicken Tacos.
Shredded chicken in a spicy BBQ beer sauce stuffed into warmed tortillas to make. All made in the instant pot. Serve each taco with a creamy, spicy avocado jalapeño sauce, fresh corn slaw, and a little cheddar cheese too.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup of your favorite beer, or use chicken broth (I use Pumpkin beer)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups grilled or steamed corn
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro roughly, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- warmed corn or flour tortillas and shredded sharp cheddar cheese, for serving
1. In the bowl of your instant pot, combine the chicken, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce, the beer, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high pressure/manual for 8 minutes. Once done cooking, use the natural or quick release function and release the steam.
2. Switch the instant pot to sauté and cook 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Shred with two forks. Add remaining BBQ sauce, if desired.
3. Meanwhile, make the ranch. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy, adding additional buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to thin the sauce.
4. To make the slaw, add the cabbage to a bowl with a few spoonfuls of the ranch and toss to combine. Add the corn, cilantro and chives, and season with salt.
5. Stuff the cheese and chicken into the warmed tortillas. Top with slaw and addition ranch. Enjoy!
1. In the bowl of your slow cooker, combine the chicken, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce, the beer, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Once the chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks. Stir in the cilantro and remaining BBQ sauce, if desired.
2. Follow the directions as directed above for steps 3-5.
1. Combine the chicken, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and sear the chicken on both sides, about 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce and the beer. Cover and simmer the chicken for 1-2 hours. If the sauce gets too thick, add additional beer to thin the sauce out. Once the chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks and stir in the cilantro and remaining BBQ sauce, if desired.
2. Follow the directions as directed above for steps 3-5.
Our Favorite Recipes
Bursting Blueberry Cardamom Buckle.