Homemade Holidays: Coconut Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Covered Pretzel Presents.
So, I think that edible gifts are probably some of the best.
Especially if they contain chocolate, coconut and coconut caramel. I mean really, does it get any better? Plus, I feel like when you make something with your hands, it really shows that you spent some time thinking and creating a gift that the receiver will enjoy.
Kind of cheesy, but true. Homemade is always the best… unless of course it’s that new, crazy expensive lens I am dying to get… hint, hint mom.
Anyway, I read a comment from Friday’s post that said my Christmas spirit was contagious and when I read it, I thought, “YES, that is exactly what I want”. Like it made me so excited to think that I was making others excited about Christmas too! Of course I did not know that was what I was going for until I read that comment, but once I did, it all made sense to me.
I love, love, love being able to really get into the holidays and without a doubt Christmas is my favorite. It’s the cozy white snow (which we desperately need more of – melting 🙁 our house is in a very sunny spot), red and green colors, a classic decorated christmas tree (I am a classic girl all the way, white lights and homemade ornaments and a little bit of sparkle), fire going, hot chocolate and a side of cookies, Christmas music and just general “down time” with the family. The down time with the family does not actually happen until like Christmas Eve, but still, I love it. Unfortunately, this December is just a little TOO busy. I am trying my best to jam in as much Christmas goodies as possible though. BUT I am keeping them simple. Well, most of them anyway….I may have a couple special things planned.
These cute little bites have been in my head, just floating around and waiting to be made, for forever now. I was waiting until just this time to share them because well, anything involving chocolate covered pretzels, coconut and caramel reminds me of Christmas, and things that seem Christmassy to me must are meant to be shared in December.
It’s this weird rule I have had since I was a kid. No Christmas until December. Trust me you do not want to know the full story.
Of course, I pretty much break my own rule every year by listening to Christmas music in November, but I just can’t help it! Ok and maybe this year we got our tree a little bit early. Oh jeez. I guess I am breaking all my stupid rules.
The older I get the more I give in. Christmastime is too short and rules are no fun anyway!
I made these chocolate covered pretzel presents on Friday and they are so easy. AND so perfect for packaging up as gifts or having sit out at a holiday party. People can just pop them into their mouths. Maybe one or two before dinner, then as a sneak off to the bathroom mid-dinner treat, and of course the totally appropriate – after dinner sweet… yep, I’d be eating them throughout the night.
The base starts with a pretzel, then you just add a little of the coconut caramel mixture, top with another pretzel, dip in chocolate and top with a few grains of sea salt. You could also add an almond or pecan on top if you like. Like I said, pretty easy!
I have to warn you though, these are addicting. You cannot just have one. If you are making these as gifts, I’d double – or even triple – the recipe. Trust me, you will want, no NEED, some for yourself, really you will!
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Coconut Caramel Somoa Present Bites.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 bag waffle or mini pretzel twist pretzels
- 14 ounces dark chocolate or semi-sweet
- sea salt for sprinkling
- In a dry, large deep heavy skillet cook the sugar over moderately high heat, stirring constantly with a heat proof, rubber spatula, until the sugar is melted and turns a deep golden caramel, remove the skillet from the heat, and into the side of the skillet carefully pour in the coconut milk.
- Return the pot to the heat and, cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, until the caramel is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the butter, rum and vanilla. Stir the mixture until the butter is melted. Stir in the shredded coconut.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place as many pretzels as you can on the baking sheet, I was able to fit about 55. Place about a teaspoon or two of the coconut caramel mixture onto each pretzel and then sandwich together with another pretzel. Place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate over a double broiler until smooth (or use the microwave, stirring in 30 second intervals). Use a fork to dip each pretzel into the chocolate, letting the excess shake off. Place back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pretzels. Place in the freezer until set, about 10 minutes. Drizzle on more melted chocolate, if desired, and then place back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt.
- Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes to set. Store in the fridge or in a cool place.
Now let’s go do some awesome gifting!