OK, so let me just say one thing.
I promise that even though these look just like hot dogs (which I actually hated, but they said brats and all the ingredients where cool with me so I went with them), they are actually spicy brats…just oddly small and oddly perfect in shape. I bought em at Whole Foods… and they were good.
Real deal hot dogs are just not my thing. I know, you can hate me now, but I just cannot do hot dogs. A little too much fake and processed meat in there for me…BUT I know that some people love them (my older brothers included). I totally get it, hot dogs are just classic summertime cookout food, and let’s be honest they taste pretty good going down.
It’s the after part that always used to get me. Granted, I have not had a hot dog since I was like eight, so clearly it has been a while.
Anyway, I still love the idea of a gourmet hot dog and really wanted to create my own version. SO I just used spicy organic brats, but obviously you can use whatever you please.
This recipe is not really about the hot dogs or brats anyway though, it’s all about the toppings!
Hawaiian BBQ sauce and mango, chili, pineapple, lime relish…yep, they are totally where it’s at…I’m telling you, game changers guys. Don’t limit yourself to just using these on brats either. Use these toppings on hot dogs, burgers, chicken – heck, you can even use these on veggies. SO good.
And speaking of game changers, let me tell you all about my new library ladder in the pantry. I feel like this is sort of mean to be telling you guys, since I have not shared photos yet, and honestly probably won’t be sharing photos until late July-August. I know, I am SO sorry, but things are just crazy this month and I have a lot of travel going on for work things. Plus, there are still a few pieces of furniture I really want find and you guys know me, I am slightly a perfectionist… Hopefully I’ll find a cool desk, and my couch should be here soon!
But really, I’ll just have to find the day to hunker down and shoot this place myself. I promise, promise, promise it WILL happen. For now, I will just torture you all to death with my tidbits and little things that are exciting me in the barn.
Which brings me to the pretty fun, totally cute AND so functional, rolling library ladder my incredible dad put together – who by the way was the guy in the photos from Monday…so to all the people who said he was a hotty…eew.
I am so excited about this ladder, it makes my life a million times easier. It took my dad like six hours total to install it for me though, so huge bear hug to him. Cannot wait to show it to you guys soon!
But back to these Hawaiian BBQ Dogs.
Oh but, umm, how fun is the word “dogs”?! To me it just screams summertime fun, bonfires and good eats, I love it. It’s probably what half my family will be doing this weekend…without me…enter my sad and pouty “but why can’t I fly to Cleveland too” face.
Anyway, the dogs are so incredibly easy to make. You can prepare both the BBQ sauce and the relish a day in advance and any leftover BBQ sauce can be kept in the fridge for at least two weeks! YEAH!
The relish will last a couple of days…but I guarantee it will not make it that long. I eat that stuff with a fork… like it’s salad…it’s my favorite.
Also, Hawaiian buns are particularly important here. They just kind of seal the deal.
Hawaiian BBQ Dog with Mango, Chili, Pineapple and Lime Relish.
Servings: 6 DOGS
Calories Per Serving: 360 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
Hawaiian BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup of your favorite [BBQ sauce | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce-just-like-sweet-baby-rays/]
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of salt + pepper
Mango, Chili, Pineapple and Lime Relish
- 4-6 spicy brats or hot dogs if you prefer
- 4-6 Hawaiian roll hot dog buns toasted
- pickled jalapeños for serving
- swiss cheese optional
View Recipe Comments
- In a small bowl combine the BBQ sauce, pineapple juice, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Store in a glass jar until ready to serve. Will keep at least 2 week in the fridge.
Mango, Chili, Pineapple and Lime Relish
- In a bowl, combine the mango, pineapple, basil, lime juice, olive oil, chipotle chili pepper in adobo, jalapeños and a pinch of salt + pepper to taste. Toss well to combine, taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Grill your brats until cooked through and light char marks appear. Place the brats in toasted buns. If desired add a little swiss cheese and allow it to melt. Drizzle with Hawaiian BBQ sauce and top with the mango relish and pickled jalapeños . EAT!
Last also… the skateboard and blue back drop just seemed fitting. Kind of obsessed with that skateboard though 🙂