So, you remember that ham from Monday?
I made sandwiches with the leftovers. I mean, duh, everyone knows you make a ham especially for the leftovers. Especially if those leftovers involve pineapple and caramelized onions. Oh my gosh – so good. Even my onion hating mom, loved the onions when paired with the pineapple. It’s the pineapple, it’s delicious with just about anything.
But you guys, how was your Christmas??
I am hopping it was as great as mine. We still have everyone here, so things are of course slightly crazy, but it really would not be a Gerard family Christmas without some craziness.The morning was spent opening gifts and hanging out by the fire, all while eating monkey bread and drinking mugs of hot cocoa. Mom of course had the Christmas music blasting…. no other way to ring in Christmas morning if you ask me though!
We actually skipped our traditional repeat of Thanksgiving dinner and decided to do this ham again. Most of the people weren’t here the first time I served it and everyone decided they were open to a little change-up. We still finished off the meal with mom’s Death by Chocolate (made by my cousin Maggie this year). There are just some traditions you just have to hold on to. It was a good meal for sure.
The afternoon was for hiking and cooking. Come dinnertime is was time to turn on the lights, let the family make some drinks and just chill. It was perfect and very white, just the way Christmas should be.
So really though, I would love to know what you all do on Christmas? You know, special traditions, crazy stories… fill me in.
I am so glad we decided to make this ham another time, today we will be able to make these ham and cheese sandwiches again. They are great for family or guests to just grab and heat up. They are especially perfect when coming in after a few hours out in the snow. For the many people who cooked a Christmas ham this year, you need to make these sandwiches. I am not lying, they may be one of the best sandwiches I have made. EVERYONE loved them when I made them the last time. Including the guys working down at the barn. They were quite a nice motivator.
And they are so simple.
Just ham, swiss cheese, pineapple caramelized onions with an easy jerk BBQ to finish everything off. They could not get better.
I made mine slider size for easy eating and snacking, but you can do whatever. Just make um. K?
Ham and Cheese Sandwiches with Bacon, Pineapple Caramelized Onions + Jerk BBQ Sauce.
Servings: 12 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 567 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
View Recipe Comments
- To make the BBQ sauce, combine the BBQ sauce, pineapple juice, soy sauce, spicy curry powder, cinnamon and jalapeno, mix well and keep in the fridge until ready to use or up to two weeks.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. Add the onions and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. At this point you want to slowly add the pineapple chunks and the pineapple juice, a little at a time, letting everything cook into the onions, slowly adding more until until you have added all the pineapple chunks and juice. Cook until the onions are caramelized to your liking and the pineapple juice has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Melt the remaining butter over the stove and then whisk in the mustard and worcestershire,
- Line a cookie sheet or 9x13 inch baking dish with tin foil. Place the bottom half of the rolls on the foil and brush each half with the melted butter. Add the ham, if desired drizzle the BBQ sauce over the ham. Now add the onions and then the swiss cheese and bacon. Place the top half of the rolls over the cheese. Brush the tops of the rolls with butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Now place another piece of foil over the sandwiches and seal the two pieces of foil together.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove the foil and serve warm with BBQ sauce for dipping.
Hope you all enjoy this holiday weekend with family and friends!