Grilled Thai Satay Chicken.
When Monday dinner is grilled Thai satay chicken, life is good.
You guys, I am not even going to sugar coat it in the least, I got just a just little bit stressed with work last week. It happens to the best of us, right? Don’t worry, it’s all good now, and it’s all thanks to this chicken. Yes, this chicken.
Like a lot of recipes these days, I made this on a whim last week and it truly saved the day. I’m not normally one to be head over heals for chicken, but this chicken is almost too good for words, almost…
Three necessary words.
Thai. Peanut. Sauce. <–game changer.
A lot of times when I’m stressed or overwhelmed, I like to make easy dinners that are total comfort food to me. Chicken is oddly one of those dinner. As a kid my dad would make grilled chicken all the time in the summer. It wasn’t like it was the BEST dinner ever, but it was comforting to me, and to this day it’s still one of my favorite things to make when I need to go back to being a kid for a second.
Anyone else have those kind of dinners? Super curious what yours are!
Clearly this is not your everyday grilled chicken, but it’s still quick and easy. Trust me, it’s totally a step up from the basic herb and salt rubbed chicken. Like a major step up.
The chicken is marinated in a little coconut milk, soy sauce, honey and Thai curry paste, then grilled, and finished with a spicy sweet peanut sauce that is life changing.
Dramatic, yes, but so true in the case of this peanut sauce.
You all know I love sweet and spicy, but this sauce is not only sweet and spicy, it includes coconut, creamy peanut butter, and a little tamarind (which is optional, but if you happen to have some than it is a must!) .
I mean? just sooo much YESS.
This is the perfect easy chicken dinner to serve over a bed of quinoa or rice. It also equally perfect as a 4th of July cookout meal for next week. Either way, it’s going to be so good, and quite possibly your new favorite summer grilled chicken, especially if you love peanut sauce as much as I do!
Before I go for the day, how was everyone’s weekend? What are you all up to this week? Today I’m hitting the ground running with a fun and hopefully laid back photo shoot this morning. Then it’s right back into the kitchen for some major recipe testing and photographing. Once that’s complete it will be back to the computer, Mondays, right? It’s all good though, because I have Mexico on my mind and I am determined to be ready come early Thursday morning.
Besides, I love being super busy…even in the summertime. With that said, I’m going a million miles a minute and typing rather fast, in fear that my computer is going to shut off at any moment…
Let me explain. On Saturday, somehow, someway, olive oil landed on my computer keyboard. No one is really sure how it got there or who even did it, because my kitchen on Saturday was packed with family…and then some. Basically it was a super chaotic mess.
So far, so good good with my computer, but my trackpad is literally sweating olive oil at the moment and I’m really not sure how it’s even working…but it is, so I’m just going with it!
Anyone ever had olive oil spill on their computer? Did it turn out ok in the end? Praying all is good…
In the meantime, I’ll be here, typing away and plotting the next time I will be making this Thai Satay Chicken…thinking tonight might be the night!
Grilled Thai Satay Chicken
Keyword: chicken appetizer, easy appetizer, peanut sauce
A classic Thai dish for an easy appetiser
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast or small thighs (I used a mix of breast and thighs)
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- quinoa or rice, for serving
- fresh cilantro or thai basil, for serving
- limes, mango, peanuts and chili peppers for serving
Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons tamarind (optional)
- juice of lime
1. Whisk together the coconut milk, soy sauce, Thai red curry paste, and honey, in a small bowl. Remove 1/4 cup of the marinade and reserve for cooking. Add the chicken to a large ziplock bag and pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Let sit for 30 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
2. Meanwhile, make the peanut sauce. In a small sauce pan, combine all the ingredients and set over medium low heat, cook stirring often until the sauce is smooth and drizzle-able. Stir in the lime juice. If the sauce seem thick, add water to thin. Keep sauce warm.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium heat. Oil the grates.
4. Add the chicken and grill for 5-8 minutes per side, brushing the chicken with the reserved coconut milk mixture until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the grill and arrange on a serving plate. Drizzle the peanut sauce over the chicken.
5. Serve the chicken over top of a bed of quinoa or rice with fresh mango, limes, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Have a great Monday guys!