Grilled Brie with Blackberry Basil Smash Salsa.
I think one of the most popular things I cook may just be warm, gooey melted brie. And this Grilled Brie with Blackberry Basil Smash Salsa is probably my best brie combo yet!
This brie is lightly grilled and has a slightly smoky flavor to it…so good!
And when served with warm grilled bread. Yes!
I think I plan to grill a loaf of bread every single day this summer. I mean, why the heck not?
Oh, and brie paired with sweet summer berries? Yeah, that’s just like icing on the cake.
I know this is really a snack or an appetizer, but this can totally be considered this dinner in my book. Cheese, carbs and fruit? Yeah, seems balanced to me!
In all seriousness though, I was thinking that this would be the perfect thing to serve on the 4th of July.
Can anyone really believe the 4th is a week from tomorrow? It is mind-blowing to me, like how did that happen and why does time have to fly by so fast? Let’s just all hit the pause button this summer. Sounds pretty good, right?
I know that when it come to summer and cooking we are all looking for things with a little less ingredients and that take a lot less time.
I am right there with you! When then weather is nice all I want to do it hang outside. Granted it’s getting harder and harder to do, but we can try, right!
Starting with this brie.
Honestly, this grilled Brie with blackberry basil smash salsa requires almost no effort at all. You just need to have some brie, honey, berries, basil and bread. If you don’t have a grill, bake the brie in the oven at 375 degrees F. for maybe ten minutes, but if you have a grill use it! The flavor is so good.
For the blackberries you literally just toss the ingredients in a bowl and smash them together, hence the title, “blackberry smash salsa”.
Personally, I really loved the blackberries for this, but I also think a mix of any fruits would be amazing or just swap in one of YOUR favorite berries. The sweetness of the fruit paired with the cheese is one of my favorite combos. Expect to see a lot of it this summer!
Oh, and if you think about it, this is really like an open-faced grilled cheese. Only better, because you can actually pile on the cheese…
Yeah, I would make sure to buy a big wheel of brie!
Grilled Brie and Chard Bread with Blackberry Basil Smash Salsa.
- 1 (8 ounce) brie round
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 loaf crusty sourdough or ciabatta bread, sliced
- slices olive oil, enough to drizzle over bread
- 1 clove garlic
Basil Smash Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, sliced or chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lemon or lime
- pinch of salt
- To make the salsa add the blackberries to a bowl and using a fork, lightly smash the blackberries until they are a little saucy. Stir in the basil, jalapeño, lemon or lime juice and pinch of salt. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat your grill to high heat or preheat your oven to 450° degrees F.
- Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil on both sides. Rub each side of bread with the halved garlic clove. Sprinkle the toast with salt and pepper.
- Place both the brie and bread slices on the grill and grill both for about 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly chard. Remove from the grill. Be careful when flipping the brie, you do not want to break the brie open.
- To serve place the brie on a cutting board and drizzle the warm brie with honey. Add the salsa. Serve with the grilled bread.
Like extra big, this disappeared embarrassingly fast.