Fried Mozzarella Sandwiches with Pomegranate Honey.
Today I’m sharing my favorite holiday appetizer, fried mozzarella sandwiches with pomegranate honey. Mozzarella stuffed inside soft brioche bread, crusted in breadcrumbs and pan-fried until the cheese is melty and the bread is golden. Finish each sandwich with a drizzle of sweet honey and a pinch of sea salt for a truly mouth-watering experience. Try cutting these into mini triangles and serve with a pomegranate-honey sauce for the ultimate deliciously festive holiday appetizer.
With Christmas Eve just days away, things are the busiest ever. It’s all so exciting and it’s been beyond amazing to see all the recipes you guys have been making. I absolutely love reading through your comments on the blog and Instagram. It’s so special to me that you take the time to send me photos of the dishes you’ve made. Truly makes me so happy, and I love spending time at night going through all the messages.
I’ve been trying my absolute hardest to respond to each and every one of you. But I’m still so behind, so if I haven’t responded to you yet, please, please…just keep bugging me!
All that said, I cannot wait to see what you guys make for Christmas this year. Do you have your menus set? Are you cooking… or being cooked for? Dying to know what you’re making!
I’m hoping you still have room for one more appetizer on your menu. Because all of my family members that have tried these sandwiches were so surprised at how delicious these are. These sweet and savory sandwiches are no ordinary grilled cheese!
Let me just start out by saying that these are simply some of the best sandwiches I’ve ever made. They’re everything you would want out of a cheesy sandwich. They are this year’s Christmas appetizer. Very exited to make these again in just a few short days.
Over the last few years, it has become a bit of a tradition for me so share an appetizer on one of the days leading up to Christmas. Appetizers seem to be one of the last-minute dishes we all forget about. So I love sharing something that can be easily created, and is of course, delicious!
I’ve shared a lot of puff pastry and brie recipes in the past, so this year I wanted to try something a little different.
Enter the Mozzarella in Carrozza, also known as the Fried Mozzarella Sandwich. Think mozzarella sticks, but made so much better with the addition of soft bread and sweet honey.
Let me break it down for you.
Soft brioche bread is layered with mozzarella and Havarti cheese, coated in a Panko/parmesan mix, and pan-fried in olive oil. The sandwiches are then finished with a little drizzle of a pomegranate-honey sauce, and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
Simple, cheesy, with just a touch sweetness.
If you’re in need of an appetizer, you must make these. They’re ideal for a smaller crowd, as you’ll need to pan fry each sandwich. But you can keep them warm in the oven until you’re ready to serve. Then you won’t have to be standing at the stove as guests arrive.
I like to cut the sandwiches into mini triangles for easy eating. Then I just serve them up right on the cutting board. These are the best holiday appetizer, and a switch up from the typical.
Also? Don’t skip the honey. I know it might seem odd. I also know it’s a little messy, but it makes these sandwiches. Well, the cheese makes the sandwiches, but the honey adds that extra special touch that you guys know I love to include in all my recipes. The honey (and the flaky salt) are delicious. Don’t skimp!
If you make these fried mozzarella sandwiches, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Mini Mozzarella in Carrozza with Pomegranate Honey
Mozzarella stuffed inside soft brioche bread, crusted in breadcrumbs and pan-fried until the cheese is melty and the bread is golden. Finish each sandwich with a drizzle of sweet honey and a pinch of sea salt for a truly mouth watering experience. Try cutting these into mini triangles and serve with pomegranates for the ultimate holiday appetizer that's festive and delicious.
- 8 slices soft brioche bread
- 8 ounces low moisture mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup honey
- arils from 1 pomegranate
- fresh thyme, for serving
- flaky salt
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Place a cooling rack inside a baking sheet.
2. Place the bread slices on a cutting board. Evenly layer the mozzarella and havarti cheese. Add the top piece of bread to make a sandwich.
3. Add the eggs to a shallow bowl. Add the Panko and parmesan to a separate shallow bowl. Working in a line dredge both sides of the sandwich through the eggs and then through the Panko, coating all sides of the sandwich.
3. Heat a few tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet set over medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, place one sandwich at a time in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, carefully flip and cook another 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Remove and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches, keeping them warm in the oven as you work. The sandwiches can be kept in the oven for up to 30 minutes.
4. Mix together the honey and pomegranates.
5. To serve, slice each sandwich into 4 pieces. Drizzle or dip into the pomegranate honey sauce. Serve with thyme and flaky salt.
Our Favorite Recipes
Mushroom Cheese Ravioli with Rosemary Butter Sauce.