Sweet, simple, and delicious, Double Strawberry Cupcakes. Light and fluffy strawberry cupcakes with both strawberry jam and dried strawberries for double the strawberry flavor. Each light pink berry-filled cupcake is generously frosted with a sweet cream cheese strawberry frosting. These cupcakes are nothing short of delicious. Each sweet mini-cake is layered with fresh berries and sweet vanilla cake. The perfect berry-filled cupcake for any and all occasions.
This is possibly the cheesiest thing I’ve ever said, but these cupcakes just make you feel happy inside. It’s the light pastel colors and happy flowers on top. Which honestly feel so perfect for this time of year as we slowly come out of winter and into spring.
When I set out to make these, I really had no plan. I mean, I obviously had a recipe written, but I wasn’t sure how’d they’d turn out.
After completely failing to add milk to the first batch (due to forgetfulness), I got the second batch just right. And it turns out my mistake the first time around helped me in the long run. For one, I knew if the cupcakes had any chance of being light and airy, they needed milk. But I also knew I needed MORE strawberries.
So I doubled up on the berries the second time around and then we were in business!
Here are the details
I knew I wanted these to be easy, but also to have incredible strawberry flavor – and REAL strawberry flavor. So many strawberry cakes have everything but real strawberries.
I ended up using a combination of strawberry jam and freeze-dried strawberries to create the perfect cupcake. The first step is to blend the dried strawberries into a fine powder. You can do this in a food processor or blender. You’ll use the strawberry powder for both the cupcakes and the frosting.
Making the batter is simple, mix the wet with the dry – nothing fancy. I love using coconut, yogurt, eggs, and then honey to sweeten. You can use sugar too, but we love subbing in honey when possible.
And then, plenty of high-quality strawberry jam. The jam has real chunks of strawberries and adds most of the yummy berry flavor. Using jam gives the most concentrated and delicious strawberry flavor. Plus, store-bought jam is easy, almost no prep work is involved.
Next, add in all the dry ingredients…the flour, the strawberry powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then bake um up!
While the cupcakes bake, make the frosting
Cream cheese, butter, sugar, more strawberry powder, and a splash of both vanilla and milk. Beat that all together and you’ll have one of my favorite cake frostings.
No one ever knows there’s cream cheese in the frosting. But it’s what makes this frosting extra special and leaves everyone wanting more.
When cooled, frost each pale pink cupcake. I like to decorate these with crushed dried strawberries and fresh chamomile flowers.
Of course, you could also use some fresh strawberries, that would be so pretty!
What I love most is how cute these turned out with minimal effort. Perfect cupcakes to bake for both spring and summer, and especially upcoming Easter! They’re pretty hard not to love.
Looking for other spring strawberry recipes? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Double Strawberry Cupcakes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Double Strawberry Cupcakes
Servings: 18 cupcakes
Calories Per Serving: 517 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 3 cups freeze dried strawberries
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey or granulated sugar*
- 1 cup high-quality strawberry jam
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. In a blender or food processor, process the freeze-dried strawberries into a fine powder.2. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line cupcake molds with paper liners.3. In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil, yogurt, eggs, honey, strawberry jam, and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add about 2/3 of the strawberry powder (save the remainder for the frosting). Mix until just combined, then slowly beat in the milk until fully combined.4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes, until the tops are just set, and no longer wiggly in the center. Remove and let cool.5. To make the frosting: In a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese until whipped. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, remaining strawberry powder (about 3 tablespoons), and vanilla. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, then slowly stream in the milk until your desired consistency is reached, you may not use it all. 6. Frost each cupcake with crushed freeze dried strawberries + chamomile flowers if you have them!
View Recipe Comments
Honey Replacement:use an equal amount of granulated sugar. Using sugar will give you a lighter cupcake