Detox Coconut Lemongrass Chicken Ramen.
Hey, Hey Monday Ramen!!
Happy Martin Luther King day! Hope you guys have the day off and are doing fun wintery things. Since it’s freezing, I made us Ramen! Healthy, colorful and delicious ramen. Ramen with chicken, lemongrass, miso, coconut milk, lots of lime, and black rice ramen noodles. I topped the bowls off with pan roasted brussels sprouts, carrots, cilantro, soft-boiled eggs and lots of sesame seeds. Basically, I created my dream bowl of healthy ramen and I am so in love with it.
As was my family when I made it for them over Christmas. This Detox Coconut Lemongrass Chicken Ramen is seriously SO good…easy and perfect for winter weeknight cooking…aka tonight because what Monday doesn’t need a giant bowl of ramen?
Answer? They all do.
So, I don’t know about you guys, but I am pretty excited for yet another week of Healthy January. I’m still in the loving winter phase, which means, soup at least once a week. We’ve had almost non-stop snow here for the last two-ish weeks. It’s been that pretty winter white snow you see on Pinterest, which also happens to create the perfect lighting for finishing up those cookbook photos. I am excited for this week because it’s busy, and I love a busy week with plenty of tasks to complete, but also because I have some exiting new things that I am starting…and finishing. Things with the blog, things with the book and some other fun things too. Hoping for a good week! I’m obviously trying some positive thinking here after a semi-exhausting past week.
Plus, new year, new thought process, right? <–yes, yes.
Also, can we please talk about something so random for a quick second? In an effort to be so much more organized this year I am currently on the lookout for the perfect weekly planner. I know, I know, I am like two plus weeks behind, but I’ve been a little swamped with pressing deadlines and haven’t had time to even think about planning for 2017. I am just beginning to get organized now. I’d love to know if you guys have a favorite planner? The hang up that I keep running into is that it seems almost all planners have their weeks laid out between two pages. I am a huge fan of the planners that have one whole page dedicated to ONE whole. This way I can write everything and cross it off as I go. Anyone else feel the same?
Let me know your tips and tricks? I am in desperate need of some organization over here.
OkOK, random chat over. Let’s talk healthy ramen!
It’s probably no secret that I love a bowl of Ramen. Example one, two, and three. It’s been a favorite of mine since I was a kid and winter would just not be complete with a couple…dozen bowls, you know? For Healthy January, I really wanted to create a bowl of ramen that was truly guilt free, but still just as cozy and delicious.
The broth needed to be crazy flavorful, the noodles, thin and curly, and the toppings bright and colorful. I’m just going to put this out there and say that this is not your average bowl of ramen. It’s different, but in such a good way. I like to call it detox ramen, because it has everything that makes me feel awesome. I’m talking lemongrass, ginger, garlic, chile peppers, miso, coconut, cilantro, fiber and antioxidant filled black rice noodles. There’s also plenty of protein filled chicken, and healthy veggies. You see, health food ramen.
If you guys are new to black rice, it has a delicious roasted nutty taste, soft texture and beautiful deep purple color. It’s high in fiber, protein and complex carbs. It’s also vegan and gluten-free. The black rice ramen noodles are simply rice, but in noodle form, and they are my favorite type of ramen. On busy nights when I’m feeling super lazy, I’ll boil the black rice ramen and simply eat them with a little butter, salt, and maybe an egg and some veggies too. Perfect easy and healthy meal…BUT, having them in this ramen soup is way better!
This soup comes together in just around thirty minutes and is really simple to make. It’s the perfect Monday meal if you’re looking for a little weekend detox.
Detox Coconut Lemongrass Chicken Ramen.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: asian main meal, detox, ramen
This healthy, colourful and delicious ramen will hit the spot
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- kosher salt and pepper
- 6 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 1-2 red fresno chiles or jalapeños seeds removed + chopped
- 1-2 lemongrass stalks sliced
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 3-4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- Juice of 1 lime plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 pound black rice ramen noodles
- 1 pound brussels sprouts shredded
- soft boiled eggs toasted sesame seeds, microgreens, and shredded carrots, for serving
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and when the oil shimmers, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sear on both sides until browned, remove the chicken from the pot.
- To the same pot, add the garlic, ginger, fresno pepper, and lemongrass and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the miso, chicken broth, coconut milk, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Add the chicken back to the pot and bring the mix to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, shred with 2 forks. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat and add the remaining tablespoons of olive oil. Add the brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the ramen noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Divide the noodles between bowls and ladle the soup over top. Top as desired with brussels sprouts, eggs, sesame seeds, carrots, peppers, limes, and or cilantro. Eat!
Monday Ramen = perfection. Always.