Who does not love a good taco?
They’re fun, customizable and almost too cute to eat. I said almost.
You can pile on the toppings (um, hello avocado and cheese), layer in the sauce and eat um with your hands.
What’s not to love?
The other day, I was busy. Who’s not right? So I dusted off my slow cooker, browned some chicken, threw in some seasonings and called dinner done. Seven hours later I had one flavorful sauce and some seriously tender chicken, it just falls apart! Grab a tortilla, avocados, fresh cilantro, some extra sauce and a whole lotta cheese! You now have your self one loaded taco!
Simple. Easy. Awesome.
The best part, apart from them being ridiculously easy of course, was the smell. The house smelled so good the whole day. Like what, I don’t even know, I guess kind of like a sweet chili smell, with a bit of spice. I don’t know, but it was good!
Everyone from picky eaters, to healthy eaters, to food snobs will love these tacos.
Crockpot Spiced Chicken Tacos
Servings: 12 tacos
Calories Per Serving: 182 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 ounces can diced green chiles 4
- 1 cup orange orange juice
- 1 oz can tomato paste 6
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp hot-pepper sauce
- 12 corn tortillas warmed
View Recipe Comments
- Coat a slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine first 8 ingredients and 1/4 tsp each, salt and black pepper.
- Rub half the spice mixture all over the chicken breast and thighs.
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches and brown 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the slow cooker. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet. Add onions and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Place on top of chicken, add the diced green chiles and the remaining spice mixture.
- Whisk together the orange juice, tomato paste, lime juice, cider vinegar, garlic, hot sauce and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or on high for 4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and shred. Add sauce until chicken is just moistened. Serve with tortillas, avocados, cheese, cilantro, and additional sauce, if desired.
Please bring back the text feature in your recipes. I used it all the time to send recipes to my kids and I could then find a recipe quickly without going to my recipe box. Thanks!
Thanks for sharing your feedback Merrill, we will look into adding this again!!
Simple and delicious 🙂
Happy Sunday!! I am thrilled to hear that this recipe was enjoyed, thanks for giving it a try and sharing your feedback! xx
I don’t even worry about browning the chicken. I mix the seasoning with the juice mixture, throw it in the crockpot and let it be. We’ve tried it both ways and we can’t tell a difference. Anyone else skip the skillet part? (Plus my skillets don’t handle oil and spices well, it just sticks, I need a better set.)
That is also a great way to do it! I am really glad you enjoyed this recipe Eva!
This was delicious! I was a little confused about the measurements though. For the green chilis it says 1 ounce, but then there is a 4 next to it. Does that mean it uses 1 ounce, or 4 ounces green chilis? Same thing with the tomato paste. It says 1 ounce tomato paste, with a 6 next to it. Could you clarify this a bit for me? Thanks!
Wonderful!! Thanks a bunch for trying this recipe out, I am so glad it was enjoyed! Sorry for any confusion, it’s 1 (4oz) can for the green chilis and 1 (6oz) can for the tomato paste. I hope this helps for next time!! xTieghan
How many servings does this recipe make? Also what size crock pot does it use?
How many servings does this make? Also what size crock pot does this recipe use?
This will serve about 6 and I have an 8 quart crockpot. Please let me know if you have other questions. Hope you love this recipe! Thanks! 🙂
Half Baked ~ You rock!! Keep the yums coming – I am yet to be disappointed.
This is a great recipe. I think I doubled the meat called for the first time. The leftovers are killer filling for quesadillas, the spiciness mellowed with a slice or two of avocado! Yummy!
So happy you love this. Thanks Jill! 🙂
I plan on making these, so just wondering, is the can of green chilis supposed to be drained?
Hey Jane, it really doesn’t matter, but I do not drain mine. Hope you love this!
These are cooking in my crockpot right now! I can’t wait to try them. But what happens to the remaining half of the spice mixture?
The other half of the spice mixture goes in the crockpot with the chicken and remaining ingredients. I know I am too late, but I hope you got it figured out and loved these!! Thanks so much for making them and I am so sorry I did not get to your comment in time!
I’ve decided I need to be a guest in your home for a week so I can experience each of these recipes that catch my eye every week on my link party! 🙂 Thanks for make me hungry! 🙂
Doors always open (really people show up all the time!). So glad I am making you hungry!
These look so good. I will have to try them.
Yum we love tacos and I love my crock pot this is perfect!