Crockpot Mexican Chili Lime Chicken.
It’s time for an easy Sunday dinner, but one that’s fun, healthy… and Mexican too!
One that you literally just throw in the crockpot, go do your thing, and is all ready to be put together when dinner time rolls around. It really could not be simpler. And guys, this chicken is DELICIOUS! This is one of those staple recipes that everyone needs to have on hand. Not only is it great for Sunday night family dinners, but the leftovers are the best, and can be used in so many different ways for extra easy meals throughout the week. Think breakfast tacos, lunch salads and taco dinner boats.
Ok ok, and not only is this Crockpot Mexican Chili Lime Chicken great for dinner tonight, but I cannot lie, this dish would be PERFECT for Cinco de Mayo (this Thursday people)! Just prep the chicken in the morning and then come home to perfectly cooked chicken ready to be turned into an amazing Mexican feast…
Here’s how this goes down, grab your Old El Paso taco boats, load them up with the crockpot chicken, guacamole, cheese, salsa and any other toppings you see fit. I go heavy on the guacamole (ok and the cheese), but you know I am avocado obsessed (seriously, I’ve been putting avocado on and or in, all the recipes for the book, like so many of them my editor is going to freak).
This would be a great dish to serve to guests after an enjoyable day of say… snowshoeing? Cause that’s what you’d be doing here today… thanks to two full days of snowfall! But for most of you lucky people, just throw everything in your crockpot, head out for a day of… hiking, biking, boating, swimming? Then come back and celebrate a fun evening filled with family, friends and this delicious Crockpot Mexican Chili Lime Chicken… Olé!
Crockpot Chili Lime Chicken.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: chicken, chili, crockpot, lime chicken
It's time for an easy Sunday dinner, but one that's fun, healthy... and Mexican too!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 of a small sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (not the whole can, just the 2 chiles
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/3 cup salsa + more for serving
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- juice of 1-2 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 Old El Paso Soft Tortilla Taco Boats warmed
- shredded cheese + guacamole + salsa for serving
- In the bowl of your crockpot, combine the chicken, onion, garlic, brown sugar (or honey), chipotle chile peppers, paprika, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, salt, salsa and diced green chiles. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours. Once the chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks and then stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve the chicken in warmed taco boats, tortillas or use in wraps. Top as desired.
Done and DONE. Let’s eat!