Crockpot Creamy Coconut Chicken Tikka Masala. The perfect bowl of warming comfort food that’s incredibly delicious. Indian-inspired tikka masala made with plenty of spice and creamy coconut milk. It’s perfectly spicy, creamy, and filled with warming Indian-inspired flavors. Making the dish in the crockpot leaves you with an even more flavorful sauce and tender chicken. Serve this creamy masala chicken over bowls of rice with spicy sesame chili butter. You’ll have the perfect dinner that can be enjoyed any night of the week. And the leftovers are even more delicious the next day.
It’s almost Thanksgiving! I’m so excited for the next few days ahead. Lots of holiday prep will be underway. I always have so much fun getting to see what everyone is preparing for their holiday meal!
I feel so fortunate to be able to be a part of your homes and your families on such a special day. It’s so cool to me!! Very excited to see what recipes you all will be making this Thanksgiving!
But until then, we still have to eat dinner!
I always find this week so odd. A lot of us are prepping for Thursday, but regardless of whether we’re cooking Thanksgiving dinner or attending, we also need to eat dinner every night before then.
Most of the time, my family is in town so I love to share easy dinner ideas like this yummy tikka masala. It’s one of those amazing dinners that tastes and looks amazing without effort.
The crockpot really has been my go-to for the last few months!
Here are the details
Some crockpot recipes are easier than others. This is one of those glorious crockpot dinners that really is just a few simple steps!
First, you’ll add the chicken to the bowl of your crockpot, then in goes pretty much all of the seasonings. The onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. I then add yogurt and instead of marinating the chicken for hours, I just let it sit on the spiced yogurt for 10 or so minutes.
I found that since this chicken cooks all day, the quick marinating time is all you need.
From here, add a can of tomato paste and a bit of water. Then cover and slow cook.
Just before you’re ready to serve, mix in a can of creamy coconut milk. Let the sauce cook until just slightly thickened and steaming warm.
Stir in lots of cilantro.
Per usual, I love to give my crockpot recipes something fresh to add color and flavor. Plus, I wanted to switch up the classic tikka masala recipe.
I did a quick sesame chili butter and it really is the secret to this dish. It makes it just a touch more special than other recipes. Trust me, the butter is key. Do not skip.
As this cooks, the aroma in the kitchen is truly incredible. It’s just like your favorite Indian spot in town, but maybe just a touch better. I always find anything made at home to be even more delicious.
I like to serve my tikka masala over steamed rice with some fresh naan for scooping up the creamy, coconutty sauce. Absolutely DELICIOUS.
Looking for other Indian-inspired dinners? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Crockpot Creamy Coconut Chicken Tikka Masala be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crockpot Creamy Coconut Chicken Tikka Masala
Calories Per Serving: 316 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14 ounces) full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In the bowl of your crockpot, combine the chicken, yogurt, onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and a pinch of chili flakes. Let sit 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and 1/3 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.2. Crank the heat to high. Stir in the coconut milk and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes until warmed. Stir in the cilantro. 3. Meanwhile, melt together the butter, sesame seeds, chili flakes, and paprika. Cook until the butter is browning. Remove from the heat. 4. Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice with fresh naan. Enjoy!
- 1. In the bowl of your instant pot, combine the chicken, yogurt, onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and a pinch of chili flakes. Let sit 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and 1/3 cup water. Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes.2. Once done cooking, release the steam. Set the Instant pot to sauté. Stir in the coconut milk and cook, uncovered, 5- 10 minutes, until warmed. Stir in the cilantro. 3. Meanwhile, melt together the butter, sesame seeds, chili flakes, and paprika. Cook until the butter is browning. Remove from the heat. 4. Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice with fresh naan. Enjoy!
View Recipe Comments
Stove-Top: use my super simple tikka masala recipe.