Crispy Buffalo Cheddar Potato Nachos.
I’d say this recipe is borderline embarrassing….
But then it’s just so good that I can’t not share it. I mean, we’re talking crispy, salted, slightly crunchy potatoes, tossed in buffalo sauce, topped with cheese and well…more cheese. Then you simply melt the cheese, top it with fresh cilantro, green onions and a little drizzle of buttermilk ranch, and…EAT.
The best three words ever. I could not be a happier girl.
With today being NFL kickoff day, I thought these nachos were spot on. They’re fast, easy and like I said above, DELICIOUS. They’re something that pretty much anyone from picky eaters to health nuts will eat. Well, ok maybe not health nuts, seeing as there is cheese and butter involved, but I don’t know, maybe.
I say live a little!! Bikini season has come to an end anyway. Cheese is back in style (as if it ever went out). Time to take in that calcium and build up those bones!
Don’t you guys just love my thinking? I can pretty much rationalize anything in my head so that I can see it the way I really want to see it. I swear, it’s a true talent. A gift even.
But you know what I can’t seem to do?
Rationalize this whole me getting a pet thing. You remember last week how I was talking about getting a cat? Yeah, well the mice have been gone for a good six days, so the cat talk has died down and the dog talk is back. The only thing is, every time I think I am ready, like literally ready to hop in the car and head to the animal shelter, I freak myself out with my thoughts. My thoughts of, “but what if the dog is incredibly hard to train… and what about all the time and attention he will need… and what about all the food I have all over the place – ALL DAY LONG… and what about my sleep… what about everything”. These are just SOME of the thoughts running through my head every hour for the last few days!
I want a dog SO bad. Like it’s someone to keep me company, take on hikes and snuggle with in bed, but it’s this first year that I am concerned about. I honestly have zero time to spare at the moment and if I do get a dog, I want a well-trained dog. One who will actually listen to me, so I am worried that I won’t have the proper time to actually spend training it.
The other thing I could do is get an older dog, but then I worry we just won’t have the some bond.
UGH. The decisions.
But umm, if I do get a dog, he has got to be BIG and FLUFFY. I just could not have it any other way.
Ok, sorry for the major detour there.
I’ve got myself back together and I’m ready to talk crispy buffalo cheddar potato nachos.
These nachos are just not your typical nachos. First things first, instead of tortilla chips I used thinly sliced potatoes. That may seem weird, but I promise it’s the best thing ever. The potatoes are not fried, but they do get coated in olive oil, salt + pepper and then baked to perfection. I sliced my taters pretty thin so the taters on the outside of the pan got a little crispy and the ones towards the middle stayed a little softer. It was just the way I wanted. YUM!
Wait though, that’s not even the best part. After the potatoes get baked, they get tossed with buffalo sauce. My homemade buttery buffalo sauce. Yes, yes, yes.
And then obviously, the cheese. The cheese is everything. I used a combo of sharp cheddar and gorgonzola. Really? It does not get better.
And I feel like that’s enough chatter for today, so lets just start cooking…
Crispy Buffalo Cheddar Potato Nachos.
- 4 slice russet potatoes in 1/4 inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt divided
- salt+ pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup hot sauce I like to use Franks Hot Sauce
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado sliced
- chopped cilantro + green onion for serving
- [buttermilk ranch | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/black-pepper-rub-chicken-fingers-greek-yogurt-ranch/] for serving
- Preheat the oven 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the thinly sliced potato rounds among the baking sheets. Drizzle the potatoes evenly with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and then season the potatoes to taste with salt + pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, watching closely to make sure none of the rounds are burning. I found it helpful to rotate the pans and toss the potatoes around half way through cooking to ensure even baking.
- While the potatoes are baking, whisk together the butter, hot sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- When the potatoes are crisp and lightly golden, remove them from the oven and drizzle with the buffalo sauce. Add the cheddar and blue cheese. Return the pans to the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove and top with fresh cilantro, green onions and sliced avocado. Serve with ranch.
And then stuff our faces, because really that’s all you can do when a tray of these nachos comes out of the oven.