Healthy Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins
You guys are going to love these HEALTHY chipotle chicken sweet potato skins, but first, I have a serious question for you guys.
Does your computer have a smudge of chocolate on the space bar, a tomato stain on the outside case and what I think is yogurt from those Greek Chicken Gyros I made smeared across the track pad? (Seriously, so good, I am pretty sure they were sent down from the Greek gods themselves. Thank you Zeus!)
Come on don’t tell me it is just me. I try to keep my computer clean, like really clean. I cherish the desk it sits on. Really, I LOVE my computer. It’s how I communicate with you guys, it’s how I watch TV, how I read (blogs, at least), how I develop recipe ideas and get inspiration, how I edit photos. I could go on an on, really I could, but my guess is you do not care.
With all the back and forth of being knee-deep in Brownie Batter to needing to check the computer to see how much flour I need, my computer gets a little (ok, a lot) of love from the ingredients. What can I say, my computer knows what tastes good (except of course any liquid. I keep those far, far, far away!).
Did I really just write a whole hundred and seventy words about my computer being covered in food? Ok, wow I am losing it. Sorry, it’s just that I’ve been thinking about my computer a lot lately because I think it may be on it’s way out and the idea of having to replace it terrifies me. File transfers, picture transfers, adapting to a new computer – I don’t have time for all that!
But the idea of it suddenly dying on me terrifies me more. We are at least an hour and a half from the closest Apple store.
Computer paranoia! Ok, stopping now.
I made Sweet Potato Skins. They were legendary. Sweet, spicy and cheesy. Kind of an unexpected hit of flavors, but they are amazingly awesome together!
Oh yeah, and like totally healthy. I know, score!
They’re comfort food, done the healthy way, which of course still includes CHEESE! What is dinner without cheese? You gotta have some cheese!
I mean really, sweet potatoes, chipotle chicken and sharp cheddar cheese. What is there not to love about that?
Healthy Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast about 2 small
- 1/4 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 3 whole chipotle pepper minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups spinach half a 10oz bag
- 5 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- greek yogurt for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until fork tender. Place your chicken in a baking dish and rub with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and peper. Place in the oven with the potatoes and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool and shred the chicken with a fork or your hands. When the sweet potatoes are done cut in half and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and wilt the spinach (this can also be done in the microwave). Toss the spinach and shredded chicken together, set aside and keep warm.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a medium size layer of flesh inside with the peel so that it can stand up on its own (I reserved the remaining flesh, for another use) and place in a baking dish. Brush the skins with with a little of the chipotle sauce and bake for 5-10 muntes until nice and crisp. While the skins bake mix the spinach, chicken and chipotle sauce together. Remove skins from the oven and stuff with the chicken mixture, top with shredded cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the skins are hot and crisp. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro and greek yogurt if desired.
Melted cheese – Yes! Melted down computer – please no!
Shared with: Inside BruCru Life, Lil Luna, Chef In Training, Buns In my Oven, Foodie Friday Friends, Tidy Mom, Taste and Tell, Cheerios and Lattes, Somewhat Simple, Mom on Timeout, I Heart Nap Time, Fine Craft Guide, The Country Cook, Whipperberry, Chef In Training