Creamy Coconut Cashew Spaghetti Squash “Alfredo” with Roasted Cauliflower.
And the healthy eats continue!
Seriously though, how are you guys feeling about all the healthy recipes we’ve been discussing this January? Are you into them? Personally, I’m kind of loving them. All the colorful veggies are incredibly fun to photograph and the recipes are so my kind of recipes!
Did I ever tell you that I once had a serious addiction to spaghetti squash? Like it was so serious that for a little while I think it was all I ate for dinner. Eventually my skin started turning yellow and then that freaked me out and I quit cold turkey. It was a weird, weird, couple of weeks, but I just remember mom and I having a long moment with spaghetti squash back when I was in middle school. But man, I do really LOVE it. Now that I make all these other kinds food, I’ve kind of forgotten about simple spaghetti squash.
I did make it once back in the fall, but this is the first time sine then. I know, I know. 🙁
Anyway, even though it’s “healthy January” here on the blog, that still means pasta and cheese…for me at least! Yes, I consider both to be healthish foods. Don’t judge.
Okay, but the squash, I guess that technically it’s not pasta. And I guess the sauce is actually vegan, but I swear, you’d think it was all cheese and cream! All you have to do is roast the spaghetti squash, add all the ingredients for the sauce to a blender, blend and then pour the sauce over the hot spaghetti squash… DONE.
As you can see, I also added a poached egg to my bowl for a little protein, because I really just love a good egg. I then topped the dish off with my new favorite condiment, vegan parmesan and called it good to go.
FYI, this bowl right here, it’s a million times better than the spaghetti squash I was eating in middle school…I think that back then we used spray butter. Eeew. That totally grosses me out now.
The creamy sauce is a base of coconut milk and cashews. This combo together is beyond awesome and the flavors are not overpowering. Even if you’re not a fan of coconut, I would still highly recommend giving the recipe a try. I can’t say that this recipe tastes full on like a traditional Italian Alfredo, but that’s OK. This is something slightly different, but yet it still gives you that feel. You know?
There’s creaminess, heartiness and all around awesome flavors going on here. If you’re not vegan, you can use parmesan in the sauce instead of nutritional yeast. Obviously you can really load up on the parmesan topping too! Like I said though, I’m actually really loving the vegan parmesan. I love the nuttiness the pine nuts give it. It’s just a little different…but I can’t lie. I also added a dusting of real parmesan too.
Couldn’t help it.
And looking at that egg in these photos makes me think that some burrata cheese would be kind of amazing on this too. I mean, it totally wouldn’t be vegan then, but man, it would be GOOD. Next time I’ll try adding burrata for sure!
Even without the burrata, the egg, plus maybe a little of the vegan AND the regular parm… oh yeah, SO good! Yup, I sure do like my cheese!!
But hey, the spaghetti squash and the sauce are oh so healthy, so laying on the cheese is perfectly justifiable.
Lastly, let me tell you a little bit about that egg. Oh that egg. Yes, you totally do not need it… but yes, it’s totally perfect (I love a good runny egg). An egg + this creamy sauce + spaghetti squash = heaven.
Almost like a carbonara pasta.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Creamy Coconut Cashew Spaghetti Squash "Alfredo".
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Italian
Keyword: alfredo, cashew, coconut, spaghetti, spaghetti squash
Healthy, tasty eats!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash halved + seeds removed
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt + pepper to taste
Coconut Cashew Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup salted roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast OR parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil + parsley chopped
- pinch or crushed red pepper flakes to your taste
- [vegan parmesan | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/the-mean-green-detox-salad/] or regular parmesan for serving
- 2-4 poached or fried eggs optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the spaghetti squash lengthwise and drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil all over the cut sides of the squash halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side up on a baking sheet and bake about 30 to 45 minutes, or until the squash is just tender enough to scrape into strands.
- Add the cauliflower florets to another roasting pan or cookie sheet. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until lightly charred and golden.
- Meanwhile, make the coconut fettuccine sauce. In a high powdered blender or food processor, combine the coconut milk, cashews. lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt and pepper. Process until the sauce is completely smooth and creamy. Stir in the crushed red pepper, basil + parsley. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Remove both the squash and cauliflower from the oven. Scrape the squash into strands and toss with the coconut sauce. Serve warm with [vegan | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/the-mean-green-detox-salad/] or regular parmesan, fresh herbs, crushed red pepper and an egg (DO IT). EAT!
Spaghetti Squash “Alfredo”… and now we eat and eat and eat. Well, OK then!