Keeping things super quick and very delicious with this Creamed Feta Garlic Herb Butter Salmon. This one skillet salmon is for those nights when you’re craving something fancy, but need to keep things quick and easy too. It’s all made in one skillet with heart healthy salmon, shallots, garlic, lots of herbs, creamy feta cheese, and summer zucchini. Not only is this salmon easy and delicious, but it comes together in less than 30 minutes.
I am very picky about seafood recipes. I’m sure you’ve all noticed, but I don’t share that many new recipes for fish. But it’s not because I don’t love seafood, I do! Here’s thing, I have my tried and true favorites. I’ve found that there are a lot of seafood recipes out there that just have too much going on. Too many complicated steps and simply not enough flavor.
Therefore, I haven’t forced myself to share any just OK fish recipes. Instead I wait until I have a really great dish that I not only love, but that I feel like you guys will love too.
I love a good fish taco, salmon in a skillet or on the grill, and quick shrimp dinners. And today? I’ve got a recipe highlighting salmon, summer zucchini, and herbs.
The funny thing about this recipe is that it started out completely different. But in the end, it wound up being so much more delicious. I love when that happens!
Seared salmon with garlic butter zucchini in a creamy feta sauce? It’s basically salmon in a Florentine style sauce, but instead of spinach and parmesan, we’re using zucchini and feta cheese. And it’s just as delicious as it sounds. What’s even better is that it takes just thirty minutes from start to finish to prepare.
Here are the steps
Start with the salmon. I love to use skin-on salmon filets for best flavor. But use what you feel most comfortable cooking or enjoy the most. I will say that the skin is where a lot of the healthy oils are, so there are also additional health benefits.
You’ll pan sear the salmon in a big skillet until it’s cooked to your liking. For me, that’s a very cripsy skin, with a nice browned top, but a slightly pink middle.
Once the salmon is cooked, pull it out of the skillet.
Now toss in some butter and zucchini. You can use zucchini or summer squash, either is really great!
Then add in shallots, garlic, thyme and chili flakes. Pour in a little cream (or coconut milk, whichever you prefer), then crumble in the feta cheese. Cook the sauce over medium-low heat until the cheese is melted and mostly smooth. It might not melt all the way, but the big chunks should become creamy…and delicious.
Now slide the salmon back into the sauce, squeeze over a touch of lemon, and you’re done.
Finish things up
You see? I told you, this is very simple.
To serve, I love to top with lots of fresh basil and thyme, a sprinkle of chives, and some flaky sea salt. It’s rich and creamy, but feels light and summery at the same time.
The sauce is a touch buttery, a little garlicky, and very creamy thanks to the feta, which I feel is the real secret to this dish. It’s the perfect pairing to a pan seared, crispy filet of salmon.
I’d recommend serving this with crusty bread for dipping and maybe a potato salad. Or simply just some pasta and a big summer salad. This makes for a great weeknight meal, but can easily be used as a main course for your next summer dinner party.
Looking for other quick summer dinners? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Creamed Feta Garlic Herb Butter Salmon, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Creamed Feta Garlic Herb Butter Salmon
Calories Per Serving: 557 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 4 salmon filets, skin on or off (your preference)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- juice from 1 lemon
- fresh basil and thyme, for serving
- 1. Season the salmon with salt and pepper.2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the salmon, skin side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the salmon is crisp. Flip and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked to your liking. Remove from the skillet. If desired, peel away the skin and discard. 3. To the same skillet, add the butter, zucchini, and shallots and cook until the shallot is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and crushed red pepper flakes, cook another 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cream and feta. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Remove from the heat and slide the salmon back into the sauce. 4. To serve, plate each piece of salmon, then spoon the sauce and zucchini over top. Serve topped with fresh basil.