Cream of Mushroom Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
My goal? Make November the coziest month ever…starting with this cream of mushroom chicken wild rice soup!
Okok, and December too…obviously.
Yes, my two favorite months of the year, with all of my favorite foods.
This soup clearly being one of them! I mean, it’s creamy, full of wild rice, caramelized garlic, mushrooms and well, maybe just a splash…or two of wine! Perfect soup for a mid November night, right? RIGHT. Also, it’s quick and easy, one of those recipes where you might even have a lot of the ingredients on had at this very moment. Like for realz. 🙂
I spent Monday playing all the usual head games with myself. I mean, there are just not enough days in the next month and half to make all the recipes I want to make…soo many good recipes – both sweet and savory! I couldn’t choose which ones would be best so I went back and forth, back and forth, UGH.
Here’s the deal though, it seems that lately, all I have been wanting to make are cozy types of recipes: roasts, meals with mushrooms, squash, chicken and pasta, lots and lots of pasta! Oh, and pomegranate and cranberry dishes too! Tis the season.
As you can see, I’m pretty indecisive as to what to make for the upcoming holiday weeks. My mind is so filled with recipes that it cannot organize them all into the proper categories of “must make now” and “maybe later”. First world problems, here, right?
On another totally off topic note. I was running around kitchen cooking on Monday night, trying to work way too fast because the days are just too darn short and there’s a bit of hustle and bustle…I gotta keep up! I was slicing mushrooms (yes, more mushrooms) and I accidentally bumped the knife next to my cutting board off the counter.
SIDE NOTE: I feel like I should say that nothing bad happened and no one should tremble through this next paragraph. No horror story today!
Normally when knives take the plunge off the counter I jump outta the way and let the knife fall, but Monday was not friendly to my brain. Meaning I was not thinking clearly and decided to try to stop the knife from falling with my leg. Not sure how on Earth that seemed like a good idea, but like I said it was Monday, and my brain just was not at full strength. Long story short, the knife cut through my favorite leggings and left me with a nice little cut. I was super lucky the knife didn’t cut me deeper because my dad had just come over and sharpened all my knives over the weekend and it was crazy sharp. It was also weird because at first I didn’t realize I was cut, but then I saw my leggings had a huge gash. Not going to lie, I was (and am) way more upset about the slash in my Lululemon tights.
So yeah, that was my Monday, but hey, it’s now Wednesday and things are lookin’ up…it’s supposed to SNOW tomorrow – yeah! Therefore, I’m thinking that tomorrow seems like the perfect day to have Christmas things baking away while the snow falls all around me. Did I mention I kind of love what I do? Cause I do, I do!
Alright, but back to this soup!
How delicious does this soup sound? It really doesn’t get better than a creamy soup, flavored with mushrooms and loaded with wild rice. I added the chicken for protein and heartiness, but it can easily be left out if you’re a vegetarian, or even if you’re simply looking for a meatless soup!
Question: how do you guys feel about rice in soup? I know that chicken and wild rice soup is kind of a classic, but do you like to put rice in other soups? Growing up my mom would put rice in all of her soups. Minute rice to be exact. I LOVED it, and clearly still do. But I’m curious if that’s just us or do you guys dig the whole rice in soup thing too?
Regardless, this soup is kind of my everything right now. It’s the perfect easy weeknight meal, but still feels special enough for a cold weekend by the fire.
Also, I added a little parmesan just before serving…perfection.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
Keyword: chicken, mushroom, wild rice
Creamy, full of wild rice, caramelized garlic, mushrooms and well, maybe just a splash...or two of wine! Perfect soup for a mid November night
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- kosher salt and pepper
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2 ounces wild mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2-1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often until the onion is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cremini mushrooms and the wild mushrooms, cook another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are caramelized. Stir in the thyme and cook another minute longer. Remove the pot from the heat and ladle out half of the wild mushrooms. Transfer the remaining ingredients to a food processor. Add 2 cups broth and pulse until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Return the mixture to the soup pot and add the remaining 4 cups broth plus 2 cups water. Bring the mixture to boil and stir in the rice and chicken. Cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and the chicken has cooked through. Shred the chicken in the pot. Stir in the milk and parmesan. Season the soup with salt + pepper. Simmer the soup for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with the reserved wild mushrooms (warm them if needed). Enjoy!
To make this vegetarian, simple omit the chicken from the recipe.
Nothing feels cozier than this bowl of soup right now, NEED IT!