Bakery style (but so much better), Cream Cheese Swirled Cinnamon Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Tender pumpkin cake make with double the amount of pumpkin and swirled with cream cheese and a sweet buttery cinnamon sugar swirl. Serve this for brunch or dessert from now through Thanksgiving. A wonderful cake for autumn days.
Crazy that this is the last week of October. Just a week from today everyone will have forgotten all about Halloween and moved into serious holiday mode. The Thanksgiving craze will begin, and let’s be honest, the Christmas craze has already started.
I’m excited, but feeling like it’s going to once again go so fast. Just like it does every single year. I know so many of you are looking forward to celebrating this season, so my biggest goal is to share recipes that are first – delicious, yet simple to prepare. And of course, recipes that are very, very fitting of the season.
This means easy dinners for nights full of crazy holiday prep, end-of-year school work, and life in general. Holiday recipes that are delicious and simple to prepare. Along with cozy cocktails, and, of course, lots of sweet treats to celebrate!
I wanted this pumpkin cake to be a little more special than all of the others out there. So I used my spiced pumpkin butter, not just pumpkin purèe. You’ve heard me repeat this over and over, but I think using pumpkin butter is key when baking with pumpkin. Pumpkin butter is more reduced down than pumpkin purèe and contains less moisture.
Next, make the cinnamon swirl.
It’s kind of the same mix that I use when I make “cinnamon crunch”. Brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix together and that’s it.
For the batter, it too is quick. Just mix the wet ingredients: pumpkin butter, pumpkin, coconut oil, maple, eggs, and vanilla with the dry: flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and salt.
I used maple syrup as the sweetener. I love the warming flavor it adds to baked goods this time of year. The coconut oil keeps the bread doughy, and a touch of pumpkin pie spice adds in all the cozy flavors.
Layer the batter with cream cheese, then finish each layer with the cinnamon swirl mix and a dusting of cinnamon sugar. If you don’t love cream cheese, you can omit it, but I think it works well with the fall flavors.
I let this cool a little then either serve or wrap it up to serve whenever we need a slice! It’s really so perfect for baking over the next few weeks ahead. It would be a lovely hostess gift or care package for friends or family!
Plus, your kitchen will smell incredible as this is baking. Reason enough to make it.
Looking for other pumpkin recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this Cream Cheese Swirled Cinnamon Pumpkin Coffee Cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Cream Cheese Swirled Cinnamon Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Calories Per Serving: 412 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Pumpkin Cake Batter
- 1 cup pumpkin butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, melted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a (9×9 inch) square pan or bundt cake pan with parchment paper. 2. To make the cinnamon swirl. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Pour over the butter and mix until you have clumps. 3. To make the batter. In a large bowl, stir together the pumpkin butter, pumpkin, coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix until just combined. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. 4. Spoon or drizzle teaspoon size amounts of the cream cheese over the batter. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon swirl mix over the cream cheese, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar. Evenly spoon the remaining batter overtop. it's OK if all the cream cheese is not all covered. 5. take the remaining cinnamon swirl mix and sprinkle over the top of the cake, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. 6. Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until the center is just set. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve the cake slightly warm or at room temperature.
View Recipe Comments
Cinnamon Sugar: Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt. To Make Gluten Free: Use an equal amount of your favorite gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour. I recommend Cup4Cup gluten free flour. Storing: Keep covered in the fridge.