Ciabatta French Toast with Raspberry Preserves
It is the day after Christmas.
Which means it is time to clean up the mass amounts of wrapping paper, play with our new toys, eat leftovers and enjoy the time with your family and friends.
I am going to keep this post short today since we have 21 people in the house and my brain has a hard time hearing itself think! Let’s just say Christmas dinner was eventful.
This french toast is actually another one of Mrs. Mooney’s recipes. Seeing as she is here for the next week, it is safe to say you’ll probably get a handful more throughout the next couple days.
It is simple, delicious and quick. Just what we need with a house full of hungry eaters. We may need to triple the recipe though! Seriously though, the ciabatta bread makes this french toast crispy, not soggy. Oh and I guess all that butter helps too! And the raspberry preserve topping just puts it over the top.
Trust me, you need this for breakfast. Feeling a little guilty about another indulgence? Christmas lasts for at least a week, right?
Cibatta French Toast with Raspberry Preserves
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread sliced
- 8 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 jar raspberry preserves 10oz
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pint raspberries or 1 bag frozen
- 1 pint blackberries or one bag frozen
- 6-8 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar for topping
- Pour preserves into a medium saucepan. Add water and berries (reserve a few of each for topping). Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer until thickened a bit. Keep warm.
- Beat eggs and half and half. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Dip sliced ciabatta bread into egg mixture and brown in pan with melted butter. Three to four minutes per side. The more butter the better so that the edges get very crispy, that is what this french toast is all about.
- Warm preserves while making french toast. Drizzle preserve mixture over french toast. Top with more berries and powdered sugar.
So here’s a yummy Christmas breakfast the whole family can enjoy. Hey, it’s even packed with antioxidants and protein, so lose the guilt.