Chopped Asian BBQ Chicken Salad with Honey-Sesame Crackers
- Today, I have so many thoughts.
Okay and thoughts about fruit, but that’s a given.
I have so many thoughts going through my head right now that I just can not organize them all in to words. I have so much I want to say, but it is just not coming out in any way that would make any possible sense to you.
I really do not want to confuse your brains and make them work hard so close to Friday. I can be mean, but not that mean.
I actually have so many lists in my brain of “things that must get done in the next two days” that my brain hurts.
I REALLY need to start writing these lists down, because I just cannot keep track of my thoughts. I’ll think about one thing, go over it in my mind, move to another, and then forget my original thought from just five minutes earlier. So yeah, I’d say it’s definitely time to get these thoughts down on paper.
Have I ever told you how much I love lists? Well, yeah I do. I use the highlighter sharpies and usually write the task in pencil so I can erase, because it is guaranteed I will make a mistake and need to erase.
Which by the way, if you have ever interacted with me through comments, Twitter or on Facebook then I guarantee you have noticed my grammar is not all that great. I am the world’s worst speller and my use of apostrophes is embarrassing. How I ended up doing a job where I am required to write every single day I have no idea.
Obviously, spell check is my very best friend.
So in an effort to calm my brain down, the list making will begin the minute I finish typing this post.
Let’s hope it relieves my brain of some thoughts, because I can’t cram any more into my small little head. And trust me, I have a small head. Thankfully I got my mom’s head, not so thankfully I got my dad’s nose.
Yeah, it looks a little funny.
Anyhoo, let’s talk about this chopped salad.
For one, it’s chopped, and chopped salads seem the be the salad of the summer. Which is awesome because they are good and easily scooped up with crackers which is, equally as good.
I even made the easiest crackers out of tortillas (or you could use wonton wrappers) that are glazed with this salt and sweet honey glaze and then sprinkled with sesame seeds. They are so good. Really if you make this salad you have to make the crackers too. If you’re not into scooping up salad, then crumble them over the salad. Either way, they go great.
You will not regret the small amount of effort spent making them.
Okay, last thing. There are a ton of ingredients in here, but I think they are necessary. Don’t let this scare you off. I promise the salad comes together from start to finish in under thirty minutes and really, so easy. Just whisk the Asian BBQ sauce together, grill the chicken (or bake or sear, whatever you prefer), bake the crackers for five minutes and toss it all together.
Pretty simple, right?
Chopped Asian BBQ Chicken Salad with Homemade Honey-Sesame Crackers
Keyword: bbq, chicken
Chopped salads seem the be the salad of the summer. Which is awesome because they are good and easily scooped up with crackers which is, equally as good.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast about 2 breast
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet thai chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 cups butter lettuce chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage chopped
- 2 carrots sliced or diced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oli
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Make the Asian BBQ sauce. In a small bowl whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sweet thai chili sauce, sesame oil, honey, dijon mustard, crushed red pepper, ginger, garlic and lemon juice. Add the chicken to a bowl or gallon size zip lock bag and toss with 1/2 of the asian BBQ sauce (save the remaining sauce for later). Grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Additionally you can bake or sear the chicken - whichever you prefer! Once the chicken is finished, let cool for a few minutes and then cut into chunks.
- While the chicken is cooking preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the tortillas in whatever shape you prefer - triangle, circles, squares. I chose circles. Place the cut tortillas on a greased baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk together the 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon honey. Brush the sauce all over the upside of the tortillas, sprinkle the tortillas with the sesame seeds. Bake for 5-8 minutes, just until the chips are browning on the edges. Watch closely, I burnt a few of mine!
- To make the salads, combine lettuce, cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large bowl and toss well with olive oil, rice wine vinegar, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Add in chicken and toss well, then separate on to two plates or bowls. Drizzle the salads with the remaining Asian BBQ sauce and eat with the honey sesame crackers.
I know, simple is so goood!