Soft and sweet, chewy, peanutty, and extra delicious…these chocolate peanut butter Cheerio bars are perfection in so many ways. Made with only six simple ingredients, that you probably have in your pantry right now…honey, peanut butter, Cheerios, rice krispies, peanuts, and chocolate. Plus they’re SIMPLE, EASY, and no bake. Everyone from kids to adults will love these bars.
Whenever I travel I’m always looking for healthy snacks to bring along with me. I absolutely hate having to buy weird airport food, so every time I fly I bring along a big bag of mixed raw nuts and plenty of fruit. If I have time the day before leaving, I’ll also make either some granola or granola bars (my favorite homemade granola bars and granola are in the HBH cookbook) to pack up as well.
Since I knew I had some travel coming up this week, I thought I’d throw together some easy bars that I could take with me. Plus, with summer so close, I know a lot of you are planning road trips, and you simply cannot do a road trip without really great snacks. It’s like the number one rule for road trips, right?
Well, it’s my number rule anyway.
SO. I made us some easy and addicting chocolate bars for your next travel day, or you know, when that three o’clock Tuesday need something sweet craving sinks in…
These bars are here to save you. Dramatic, but true.
I didn’t eat very many bowls of Cheerios growing up, but oddly I love using them in recipes now. And no, this post is not sponsored by General Mills, I just like to cook with Cheerios!
I’ve had an unopened box of Cheerios sitting in my pantry for ages now, and I cannot even believe it took me this long to use it up. The Cheerios make for the perfect sweet, slightly unexpected base to these bars, and I love pairing them with peanut butter, honey, and chocolate. It’s honestly just the most addicting combination out there. Think a little salty, a little peanutty, and extra sweet, but not in an overpowering way.
All you really need to know is that these are SO GOOD. Yes, I say this often, but I always mean it.
As you can imagine from looking at the very short ingredient list, these bars take almost zero effort to make. Simply mix together the honey and peanut butter, add in the Cheerios, brown rice krispies, and peanuts, and toss, toss, toss. Then press the mix into a baking pan, and freeze.
Once the bars are frozen, cut them up and dip into dark chocolate.
Done. And you see? Simple. But good. And addicting.
A few tips for success…
- Before cutting the bars, make sure they are frozen. The bars will still crumble a little as you cut them, but having them frozen will help them cut much easier.
- Once you’ve melted the chocolate, let it sit at room temperature for five to ten minutes to cool before you begin dipping.
- When dipping the bars into the chocolate, again, make sure they are frozen. If the bars are frozen the chocolate will immediately begin to set and it makes the dipping process so much easier.
- The chocolate is what really glues these bars together, so don’t be afraid to dip them generously.
I also want to note that if you love almond butter, or really any other nut butter, feel free to swap it with the peanut butter. I think almond and cashew butter would be delish. AND if you wanted to swap the chocolate for white chocolate, that would be fun too! You could even do half dark chocolate and half white chocolate.
You could also stir in dried fruits like cranberries, seeds, and even cacao nibs. Don’t be afraid to add your own flare to these bars!
And lastly, if you don’t want to take the time to dip the bars in chocolate, you can just spread the top of the uncut bars (leave them in the pan) with melted chocolate, freeze, and then cut into bars. That’s admittedly, a much simpler process, but I really wanted the look of a dipped bar. Do what works best for you here!
I do have to say, with all the above said, I love these bars just as written. They are some of my favorite flavors, and the texture of the bar is soft and chewy, just like that of the Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola bars I used to eat and love as a kid.
Except these are better, because they’re homemade and have an entire layer of chocolate. YUM.
Perfect Tuesday treat, whether on the go or chillin’ at home.
If you make these chocolate peanut butter Cheerio bars and love them, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you. Oh, and of course, if you do make these bars, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram so I can see! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Honey Cheerio Bars
Servings: 18 bars
Calories Per Serving: 181 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper. 2. In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt together the honey and peanut butter until smooth, about 30 second to 1 minute. Stir in the Cheerios, Brown Rice Krispies, and peanuts, tossing well to combine. Spread the mix out into the prepared pan, packing it in tightly. Transfer to the freezer and freeze 15-20 minutes. 3. Remove the pan from the freezer and cut into 16 bars. Working quickly, dip each bar in chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes. Keep stored in the fridge or freezer.
View Recipe Comments
*It's important that the bars are frozen before dipping in chocolate. If they are not cold, they will break.
Happy Tuesday snacking!
PS. these fruit rolls are also great for traveling.