Crispy Cheesy Sweet Potato Skins, plus all the toppings – because loaded potato skins are the only way to go. Baked sweet potato skins with a smoky chipotle chili spice mix and lots of parmesan and cheddar cheese layered on top. Add plenty of homemade bacon bits and then all your favorite toppings! These potato skins come together easily and are so delicious.
Well now, I just love this recipe. It’s the simplest, but wow, still so yummy! Now that February is here I’ve begun thinking about two events when it comes to cooking, the Super Bowl and then Valentine’s Day. They’re pretty much back-to-back this year, so you can expect recipes for both over the next couple of weeks!
I love to cook for a few reasons, but I continue to stay inspired through big events and holidays that tend to revolve around food. The Super Bowl is obviously one of those events that is very food centered.
Wings, nachos, dips, and drinks, we’re all looking for fun game day recipes! And I love that because it gives me room to brainstorm new ideas.
The idea came pretty naturally to me. I grew up eating my dad’s homemade potato skins just about every other week. They used to be a dinner he would make on nights when the fridge was empty or my mom specifically asked for potato skins.
We loved them! And he really does make the best potato skins. These are similar to his, but I swapped the white potatoes for sweet potatoes. And you guys, it’s such a game changer. Totally delicious!
First, you’ll need to cook the sweet potatoes. Try to use potatoes that are fatter and wider versus narrow and skinny. The fatter the potatoes, the more room you’ll have in each skin for cheese and toppings!
I like to bake the potatoes directly on the oven rack. Then, when they’re just tender but still firm, I pull them out and scoop out most of the orange flesh. But don’t scoop it all out, leave a nice border of potato in the skin.
If you’re short on time, pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave for 5-8 minutes to really help move the cooking process along.
Next, take melted butter and mix it with seasoned salt. I make my own using 1/4 cup each of onion powder and garlic powder, then 1 tablespoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/4 cup kosher salt. Then add the chipotle chili powder, and smoked paprika to the mix. Next, spoon the yummy seasoned butter over each skin and sprinkle with parmesan.
Now bake until the skins begin to really get crisp. Fill each with cheddar cheese and bake one final time until that cheese is melted.
While those are cooking, gather up your toppings. Crispy homemade bacon bits are a must. And I always use some plain greek yogurt with lots of green onion and cilantro.
Avocado then too! Almost like a loaded sweet potato nacho!
As soon as you take the skins out of the oven, top them with bacon bits, then add each and every topping you enjoy most. That’s it, dig in! These shouldn’t sit too long, they’re best while crispy and warm. Although I will say that my dad is known for eating his skins after they’ve completely cooled and been sitting out. That seems very odd to me, but he loves them either way.
These sweet potato skins are great as a weeknight dinner but perfect for the upcoming super bowl!
Looking for more game day recipes? Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make these Crispy Cheesy Sweet Potato Skins, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crispy Cheesy Sweet Potato Skins
Calories Per Serving: 350 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- crispy bacon bits, for serving
- avocado, cilantro, green onions, jalapeños, and sour cream, for serving
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork. Bake directly on the rack until tender, 35-40 minutes. Slice in half, then let cool. 2. Use a fork to scoop most of the flesh out, leaving about 1/4 inch of the sweet potato in the skins. Arrange the skins on a parchment-lined baking sheet. 3. Mix the melted butter with the seasoned salt, chipotle chili powder, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Spoon the seasoned butter over each potato skin. Sprinkle over the parmesan. Bake 15-20 minutes, until crisp. Add the cheddar cheese. Bake another 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.4. Serve immediately topped with lots of bacon bits and an assortment of your favorite toppings. We love mashed avocado, yogurt/sour cream, green onion, cilantro, and candied jalapeños. ENJOY!!!
View Recipe Comments
Homemade Seasoned Salt 1/4 cup each of onion powder and garlic powder 1 tablespoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon cayenne 1/4 cup kosher salt