Cheddar Cornbread Waffle BLT with Chipotle Butter + Video
Oh my gosh, I do not even know where to begin.
For one, I’m crazy excited about these BLT waffle stacks. I mean, are you looking at what I’m looking at?!?! These Cheddar Cornbread Waffle BLT’s are one of my favorite recipes of the summer…ok, I have been saying that way too much lately, but it’s all true. I really love all the summer recipes…especially these BLT’s though. 🙂
WATCH THE HOW-TO VIDEO:
Two, I had the weirdest weekend ever. I spent all day Friday working on a Christmas story for a magazine and two of the recipes were cocktails. Seeing as I am not a huge drinker to start with and I really didn’t need two pitchers full of booze all to myself on a Friday night, my brother Trevor offered to take them off my hands. It’s funny, he always picks the right days to text me and ask if I happened to make any drinks that day. I spent a good portion of the night cleaning the kitchen and hanging out with Trevor and his friends. It’s REALLY odd for Trevor and I to hang like this. Our whole lives we’ve just never been buddy-buddy. My family calls us the terrible T’s. Apparently they think we don’t get along because we are too much alike…whatever. Anyway, since we’ve gotten older we’ve been able to have a little fun together, so it was actually a good night!
Saturday it rained all day long, so I decided to catch up on some work and figured I would have fun at night. Yeah, well I went to put the chickens to bed around eight o’clock and as I walked into the pen I freaked out because one of the chicken was completely still, lying on its back.
NOOOOOO. I jumped back and totally screamed a little. I mean, who the heck wants to see a dead animal, especially one of their own animals. It was kind of horrible and I still feel all the guilt. UGH. No one really knows what happened to the poor hen, but she looked so sad. I swear the image in my head is going to be there forever. It was not fun. All the other birds are completely fine and there were no signs of an animal getting into the pen or an attack. It looks like she just died of reasons that will never be known to us.
So sad about it. It’s just not how I wanted to spend Saturday night, or any night for the matter. Rest in peace little birdie.
Maybe I just should not have pets. Like I think I have a bad omen or somethings. UGHHHH. 🙁
Alright, but it’s Monday so let’s get back to being positive and talking about yummy, yummy, summertime food.
All good vibes today!!!
These BLT’s are one for the books.
And by that, I mean they are life changing… ok, that may be a bit dramatic, but you may never go back to a boring BLT on bread with just tomato, lettuce and bacon. Let’s break this sandwich down piece by piece for you.
…the waffles. full of buttermilk, cheddar cheese and jalapeño. So freaking delish.
…the chipotle butter. sweet, spicy, buttery and the best when spread over a warm waffle so it melts into the nooks and crannies… yes.
…the bacon. cause it’s a BLT…
…the tomatoes. heirloom all the way, they’re the only way to go in my mind.
…the arugula. cause you need a little green, regular old lettuce works great too.
…then layer it all up one more time. yup. yup. yum.
…add avocado, obviously.
…drizzle on maple syrup (a must)… sweet + spicy + salty bacon = winner.
Pretty epic right??
Don’t be weirded out by the drizzle of maple. It is everything. Think about fried chicken and waffles, but take out the chicken and add bacon, SOOO GOOD. These make the perfect, brunch or dinner, and if you wanted to add a little protein you would make my day by adding a fried egg. That would be amazing…as would fried chicken. Hey, go big or go home, right?
Cheddar Cornbread Waffle BLT with Chipotle Butter.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ear corn kernels removed from the cob (about 1/2 )
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed + chopped
- 8 slices thick cut cooked crispy bacaon
- 2-3 tomates sliced
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1 avocado sliced
- kosher salt + pepper
- mapley syrup for serving
- 6 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 2 in chipotle chiles adobo finely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and honey. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined. It's OK if the batter is a little lumpy. Stir in the cheddar cheese, corn and Jalapeno. Allow the batter to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle butter. In a small bowl, stir together the softened butter and chipotle peppers until combined.
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron's directions.
- To assemble, spread each warm waffle with chipotle butter and then layer on the tomatoes (seasoning them with salt + pepper), bacon + arugula. Add another waffle. Top with tomatoes, arugula and sliced avocado and finish off with a drizzle of maple syrup (DO IT). EAT! 🙂
GO BIG! Happy Monday guys, let’s have a killer week…full of waffle BLT’s. ?
PS. Don’t forget to vote for your favorite bloggers for the Bloglovin 2016 awards…Half Baked Harvest is nominated for best food blog, yeah!!