Sweet, salty Caramel Mocha Nutella Brownies. Homemade fudgy, crinkly espresso brownies, baked, then layered with sweet Nutella and chunks of homemade salted caramel candies. Every last bite of these indulgent brownies is melt in your mouth delicious. Eat them warm and gooey, or let them cool and package them up for gifting this holiday season. They’re simple to make and guaranteed to be hit!
It might only be Tuesday, BUT since it’s Halloween week, we’re keeping things sweet. Honestly, these brownies are just perfect. Everything from their taste, texture, and ease to make are so good.
Asher has officially declared them the best brownies yet. And she is a die-hard for the classic crinkle top brownie. She likes to say she doesn’t like caramel, but I’m quoting her word for word here… “these are really GOOD”.
These are indulgent, but come this time next week, we’ll have entered into the holiday season. And as I always say, anything goes when it’s the holidays. Especially over-the-top sweets.
This is a version of a brownie I made a while ago. I’m talking almost eight years ago. But it’s been a brownie that has been in the back of my mind for what feels like forever now.
I just love the thought of an extra crinkly and very fudgy espresso hinted brownie stuffed with sweet, creamy Nutella and salted caramel. It reminds me of a fancy latte or mug of hot chocolate.
Here are the details – to make the caramel
This caramel doesn’t need any special equipment. You just need four simple ingredients…sugar, butter, heavy cream, and salt. Melt the sugar until it is amber in color, then add the butter and cream. Bring the caramel to a boil stirring until it has thickened and easily coats the back of your spoon. Next, add a pinch of sea salt.
Nothing fancy, but so delicious.
I like to pop the caramel into the freezer to quickly firm it up and then break it into squares.
Make the brownies
Melt the butter and chocolate together, then add sugar, Kahlua, vanilla, and instant espresso.
Next, whisk in the eggs. This is the KEY to getting that extra crinkly top. The eggs should have lots of bubbles on them before you stir them into the chocolate mix.
Then add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
One layer of brownie batter, spoonfuls of Nutella, then finish with brownie batter. Now grab those pieces of caramel and stick them into the top of the brownies.
Bake until just set and the caramel is bubbling up in the brownie.
As the brownies bake, the caramel melts into the batter, almost disappearing. They give the brownies a delicious salty-sweet caramel flavor.
And the Nutella…it melts into pockets of deliciousness.
Add a little sea salt on top and…well, you really can’t beat these brownies. They’re perfect – gooey, sweet, very chocolatey, and extra special. Everything you need to make a real crowd pleaser!
Looking for other fall sweets? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Caramel Mocha Nutella Brownies be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Caramel Mocha and Nutella Brownies
Servings: 16 brownies
Calories Per Serving: 270 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate, or milk chocolate, chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee/espresso
- 1 tablespoon Kahlúa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
View Recipe Comments
- 1. To make the caramel. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 2. In a large pot, cook the sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has melted and turns a golden caramel, about 8 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the chunks of butter, whisking until combined. Then, stir in the cream. Return the pot to medium heat and cook the mixture, stirring until the caramel has thickened and easily coats the back of your spoon, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in a pinch of salt. Pour onto the parchment paper. Freeze in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden. 2. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9×9 inch square pan with parchment paper.3. In the microwave, melt together the butter and 1 cup chocolate chips (stirring at 30-second intervals) until melted and smooth. Stir in the sugar, coffee powder, Kahlúa, and vanilla. 4. In a small bowl whisk the eggs for 1 minute until bubbly on top. Stir the eggs into the chocolate mix. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir until just combined. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Evenly spread half the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Dollop spoonfuls of Nutella over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter over top, using a spoon to lightly smooth out the batter. It's ok if the batter does not cover up all the Nutella. 5. Grab the caramel piece from the freezer and break/cut into pieces. Stick the caramel into the brownies, you may not need all of the caramel. Bake 28-30 minutes or until the brownies are just set. Let cool…or cut and enjoy warm.