Burst Cherry Tomato, Artichoke, and Zucchini Pesto Pizza.
Because Wednesdays are better with cheesy pizza…more specifically, this burst Cherry Tomato, Artichoke, and Zucchini Pesto Pizza. <– truth.
I know that this title is kind of a mouthful, but I wanted to get it all in there! This is one cheese filled, veggie filled, pizza and I love it!
I cannot deny that my mind has turned to all things SUMMER. With Memorial Day now behind us, and the sun still shining until at least 8PM, I am in all-summer go mode. I know we still have until June 20th for the season to officially arrive, but guys, I am so ready, and I’m betting that you are too! Or at least I’m hoping so. I’m counting on you guys to be down with my summer inspired eats!
Speaking of summer…little sister, Asher, gets out of school on Friday! Do you guys remember that feeling of school’s out for summer? I can literally still feel it, it was probably one of my favorite, most anticipated feelings, EVER.
I wasn’t really a school loving kid…
Anyway! Pizza talk!
Over the weekend I went for a quick little bike ride with Asher. She is dead set on me taking her to Italy for a summer trip, and I’ve got to say, the girl is starting to convince me that I somehow need to make it happen. First of all, I think it’s the cutest thing that my eight year old sister wants to go to Italy with me, although she did just watch Mary-Kate and Ashley’s movie, When in Rome, so that could have a little something to do with it.
She’s promised me that if we go she will try anything at least once…new cheeses, different pizzas and pastas, and frittatas! She especially wants to see Rome. Yes, the Colosseum, all the ruins, and the Vatican City (she did an extra credit report on it…did you know it is the smallest country in the world – only 2 miles wide). She also wants to go to Milan (she is very much the fashion queen), visit the sea, and eat lots of Nutella and pasta…maybe not in that order.
How can I turn her down?
I mean, it is in Europe, but it’s not like she’s twisting my arm to go. I’ve always wanted to visit…hello to all the fresh burrata and stone fired pizzas. BUT…it’s just a crazy busy summer, and planning a trip to Italy is kind of a big undertaking.
Any suggestions for me? If we do go, where must we visit? Where must we stay? Where must we eat?
Let me know!! Dying to hear your thoughts guys!!
OKOK. Double anyway? <–got so off track there.
While we contemplate this Italy trip, I think we should eat pizza. You know, to prepare! Duh.
Ok, but in all seriousness, this is kind of my first summery pizza of the season. Fresh heirloom cherry tomatoes, garden zucchini, late spring artichokes, and tons of homemade basil pesto. Nothing too fancy, but yet so delicious.
I had a ton of pesto leftover from these antipasto skewers, so I used it as the base for my pizza. I then topped it with a generous amount of provolone and mozzarella cheese. I loved the combo of sharp provolone and melty mozzarella. It was the perfect cheesy balance. For the veggies, I added zucchini ribbons and marinated artichokes. The zucchini ribbons cook up quickly and get a nice char on them, and the marinated artichokes crisp up on the tops just slightly, which I love.
Tip: when buying jarred artichokes, always go for the marinated ones. They are not rubbery like canned artichokes and are packed with flavor.
For the tomatoes, I tossed them with olive oil, a little garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, then I spooned them over top of the pizza. I added them to the very top so that they can burst in the oven. They are SO good that way, trust me!
Finish the pizza off simply, by adding a little fresh basil…and DONE. Could not be easier.
I can totally see myself making this pizza all throughout the summer. It’s healthy, colorful, fast, and just really, really good! I love the combo of burst tomatoes with lightly charred zucchini…and of course the provolone and mozzarella are pretty yummy too. Each bite is filled with goodness, which is how all pizza recipes should be.
The real question…would the Italians approve of my pizza? Hmmmm, thinking I’ll need to take that question on to Italy. You know, for research purposes.
Burst Cherry Tomato, Artichoke, and Zucchini Pesto Pizza
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, cut into ribbons
- 1 (12 ounce) jar marinated artichokes hearts, drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt and pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh basil and arugula for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil.
2. On a lightly floured surface, push/roll the dough out until until it is pretty thin (about a 10-12 inch circle). Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet. Spread the dough with pesto and top with provolone and mozzarella. Add the zucchini and artichokes, you might not need all the artichokes. Add the tomatoes to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Spoon the tomatoes over pizza, drizzling any oil left in the bowl over the pizza as well.
3. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden, the cheese has melted and the tomatoes have burst. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil and arugula. Slice and eat!
And just like that, Wednesday night is looking so damn good. Che figata!