Browned Sage Butter Chicken Piccata with Mushroom Pasta + Video
Hey, Hi! Want to have the best Monday ever?!?!
Grab some butter, chicken, sage, pasta, mushrooms and ok, a little cheese too.
Seriously, do this. This combo will equal Monday happiness like no other, AND you can make it in under an hour, so it’s totally weekday approved. I mean, come one?? Do I even need to say more?
I don’t….but you know I will! 🙂
WATCH HOW-TO VIDEO:
First things first though, I want to give you guys all a HUGE thank you for your kind comments on Friday’s post. WOW! You all just continue to amaze with your beyond kind words. All of your comments and emails have put a permanent smile on my face since Friday, so THANK YOU… times like a million. If you missed the post and are interested in checking out photos of my home, check it out here!
Hmmm, well I guess I should probably tell you all about that cute little black cat I mentioned in Friday’s post…Yep, I am now a cat owner!!! Ahh!
I mean, I really wanted a dog, but somehow I now have a cat… and I love him! I don’t know if you guys remember, but a couple of weeks back I was chatting with you guys about possibly getting a cat. Everyone told me to get a cat, but I still wasn’t sure. I just REALLY wanted a dog, but then I’d talk myself out of a pet all together, because to be honest, I really just don’t have the time to devote to a pet at the moment…especially not a dog.
SO. A week passed and I was sure, no pets for me. Like I was over it. Over the pet phase and on to well, my next cooking/photography project. Outta my head and back to focus mode.
But then the brothers and the mom happened… and the birthday happened.
Let me explain. My birthday was last Tuesday. I am now officially 22 and officially sad about this fact. I am not a fan of getting older, to say the least…I think when I bought the domain for this blog I was 18 and then 19 when I actually put out my first post!! Time goes way too fast!
Anyway, my poor mom has the hardest time with my B-day. I would honestly be THRILLED if we all forgot about it, but she just can’t, she wants to celebrate, she wants cake (ok well, I understand that), and she wants to buy me pretty presents. I know, sounds pretty awesome, right?? Well, to me it’s kind of misery. I just don’t like all the attention on me…no fun. The question is always the same for my mom, “what the heck do I do for Tieg’s B-day that will not leave her totally unhappy”. It’s a HARD task, like hard. But she got my brothers involved and I have to say that they KILLED it this year.
Here’s the quicky story. My mom gave me flowers earlier in the day so I wasn’t really expecting anything else (again, she knows I have a hard time with the day). But she does tell me that when the boys get back from Denver (my brother had a doctor’s appointment) they have “something silly” to give me. It’s now 9 pm, I am on my computer finishing up the next days post and in walks mom and dad. Asher was already here hanging out while my mom and dad were out walking (yes, we do things a little late over here). And like maybe 5 seconds later the boys walk in. Now, I am still staring at my computer screen at this point, because I remember thinking that I just wanted to hit save on whatever I was doing. But as they all get closer and closer, finally I turn around.
Aside from the whole fam staring at me, I also see a little black cat peaking its head out of a gift bag. I scream. Not like an excited scream, like a shocked, almost scared scream. And then I said, “but I don’t want a cat”. <– Truth. And then they put that little black kitty in my arms and I was instantly sold. FYI, this all happened in less than 60 seconds.
What next? I see another kitten, this one grey, and I say, “you guys, there’s two? Why is there two?”. Fams response, “oh well, Blake just decided he wanted a cat too, that’s Benny”. Weird, but OKAY.
And now I am the happy owner of a little black cat name Snape. Like Severus Snape. It just had to be a Harry Potter name. I wanted to name him Sirius (like Sirius Black), but the boys said that was too many syllables, so we settled on Snape…it fits. Snape is the best! He’s a cuddler too, I am so PUMPED. Oh and he is so playful, and SO fast – mice, barn rats and whatever else, BEWARE, Snape is in the house!
We need to talk browned sage butter chicken piccata and mushroom pasta. Doesn’t that just sound awesome?!
Oops, and there is maybe a little wine involved in this meal too. See, I told you this was going to be the best Monday ever… I don’t mess around.
Here’s the deal. I made chicken piccata, but with my own cozy little autumn twist. The addition of brown butter, sage and a mushroom pasta make this meal a million times better than the traditional. Well, at least I think so, but I have never actually had a traditional chicken piccata, so I guess I can’t truly say. What I can say is that I LOVE this meal, my family LOVES this meal and I am pretty sure you will too.
The chicken gets bathed in a sage brown butter sauce and the pasta gets tossed with caramelized mushrooms, parmesan and manchego cheese. I know, delish, right!?! It’s honestly one of my new favorite fall meals.
SO flipping good.
And it’s pretty easy too… always a big plus!!
I used a mix of wild mushrooms and button mushrooms, but you can use whatever you prefer, OR whatever is on sale this week!! Oh, and I got to use the fresh sage from my dad’s garden, so that has me pretty happy too! Unfortunately, we have had a whole bunch of below freezing nights (28 degrees this morning when I got up) and his little garden is pretty much dunnzo. Enter giant Tieghan sad face. 🙁
But then add like two happy faces cause… brown butter, sage and pasta! Yes! 🙂 🙂
Browned Sage Butter Chicken Piccata with Mushroom Pasta.
- 4 in small and thin chicken breasts OR 2 chicken breasts butterflied and then cut half
- salt + pepper to taste
- cup flour for dredging (about 1/3 )
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup wine
- 1/4 cup fresh sage
- pinch of fresh nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cup mixed mushrooms I used wild + button
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pappardelle or other egg pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated manchego cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken through the flour, shaking off any excess. Place on a plate.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When the butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and repeat as directed above. Remove pan from heat and place the chicken on a plate.
- Into the pan add the remaining butter and sage, allow the butter brown and bubble. Once the butter has browned, remove the sage to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- To the skillet with the butter, add the lemon juice, and wine. Return to stove and bring to low boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Stir in the nutmeg. Taste and season with salt + pepper. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until warmed through. Keep warm on the stove.
- Meanwhile, make the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and boil the pasta until al dente.
- While the water comes to a boil, heat another large skillet over high heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, sprinkle in the mushrooms in a single layer. Don't stir them! Let them sizzle until they have caramelized on the bottom, about 2 minutes. When the bottoms are caramelized, toss them once and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Continue to cook without stirring for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for about 1 minute. Add two tablespoons butter and the cayenne. When the pasta is done cooking, add it to the pan with the mushrooms and toss well. Add the parmesan cheese, manchego and cream, toss until a thick sauce is created. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- To serve, divide the pasta among plates and top with chicken + crisp sage. Drizzle the pan sauce from the chicken over the meal. Serve with parmesan. EAT!
That’s my happy place up there.