Browned Butter Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Browned Butter Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies. These cookies are the perfect way to start off your weekend. Browned butter, toasted coconut, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and flaky sea salt. Delicious and easy, no wasting precious summertime hours here!
Sometimes you just need a freaking cookie, you know? And not like a 6 ingredient no bake vegan cookie, although these are really really good, but like a real cookie. A cookie with butter, sugar, eggs, flour, toasted coconut, and lots of chocolate. Actually, maybe even double the chocolate (or use chocolate chips and chocolate chunks). And finished off with a light sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
The real deal.
Today is that day. It’s Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookie Friday, and I am so happy about it. Who’s with me on this!?
This seems to happen every summer around this time. August hits and my brain begins to shift from all things summer, to back-to-school, fall apples, and chocolate. It doesn’t help that the leaves on our trees have already began to turn and our temperatures are slowly getting cooler and cooler.
Fall is for sure on its way around here.
August has always been, and probably always will be, back-to-school month for me. I may not personally be in school or have kids in school, but it’s just the vibe I think I will always get when August rolls around. I kind of love it because heading back to school also means the autumn days are on their way, and as most of you know, autumn is my favorite season.
Which yes, this is why it’s Half Baked Harvest.
Anyway, my point is that I am in full on back to school mode, and for me this apparently means cookies. Let me explain.
It’s really pretty simple, my mom would always have cookies waiting for us after school every day during the first week back. It was the BEST, and very genius on her part because it made going back to school not quite as miserable for us kids…ok, maybe it was just me.
So you see? For me, cookies and back to school go hand in hand, and since I haven’t shared a chocolate chip cookie recipe since November, I figured it was time.
Like last Friday’s peach cake, the major flavor from these cookies comes from browned butter. It’s probably obvious, but I am having a moment with browned butter. And seeing as fall is on the horizon, I don’t see this moment ending anytime soon, I love it. Browning butter gives regular old butter a whole new identity. It’s nutty, rich, and completely addicting. Especially in a cookie.
So start with browning the butter. Give yourself some time before you need to have the cookies ready to allow the butter to cool. Once the butter is cool, the dough comes together in minutes and requires zero chilling.
Aside from the butter, the cookies are your standard chocolate chip cookie…sugar, eggs, and flour.
The stir-ins however? This is where we’re shaking things up a bit.
Toasted Coconut. Chocolate Chunks.
Yes, yes, YES. The coconut give the cookies a nutty, sweet, and buttery crunch. And the chocolate chunks? Well, they’re basically one big bite of delicious in your mouth, I mean, these cookies are just really good. No explanation needed.
Oh! And then a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, because I mean, if we’re doing a chocolate chip cookie like these, we should finish them properly with a little salt. Or at least that’s the way I like to do it.
Okay, and a glass of cold milk. Preferably goat milk, with a warm cookie right out of the oven!
YUM. My mouth is watering. I now need to stop typing and go bake cookies, because it’s the weekend and we deserve cookies like these. WE DO!
PS. if your kids are heading back to school, make them these cookies you’ll be mom of the year. I’m sure of it.
If you make these browned butter chocolate chip cookies, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you. Oh, and of course, if you do make these cookies, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram so I can see! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Browned Butter Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are the perfect way to start off your weekend. Browned butter, toasted coconut, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and flaky sea salt. Delicious and easy, no wasting precious summertime hours here!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 2 ounces milk or dark chocolate chunks
- flaky sea salt, for topping (optional)
1. Add the butter to a skillet set over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown lightly until it smells toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir often. Remove from the heat and transfer the butter to a mixing bowl, let cool until it's room temp and no longer a liquid.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. To the mixing bowl, add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, beat until combined. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, beating until creamy. Add the flour, and baking soda, beating until combined. Stir in the the chocolate chips and toasted coconut.
4. Roll the dough into tablespoon size balls and place 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press 1-2 chocolate chunks into each dough ball. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-11 minutes or until the cookies are just beginning to set on the edges, but still doughy in the center. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Eat warm (highly recommended) or let cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
*Dough can be made 3 days ahead and kept in the fridge. Bring to room temp before baking.
Our Favorite Recipes
6 Ingredient Chocolate Coffee Nice Cream.