So where I am, it is totally soup season. This Brie + Cheddar Apple Beer Soup with Cinnamon Pecan Oat Crumble is seriously the best!!
And I love it.
Although, I actually heard the temps in Ohio where a little chilly over the weekend too. So does that mean the rest of you guys are catching some colder temps as well?? I am kind of hoping so because I am really excited about soups this fall.
I have so many many on my list of must makes, but I swear you guys, there is just not enough time. I was thinking the other day how nice it would be just to have a pause button. Ideally I would just pause life a little while so I could soak everything up and not let it pass by before my eyes, like it does everyday. It’s actually a little scary how fast things go. I know that everyone says this, but honestly as I get older it just becomes more and more clear. Enjoy life now, do what you love and try to slow down a little.
I am doing what I love, but the whole slowing down thing?? Yeah, I do not think that is possible for me. But I am young, so slowing down can come later in life, like it naturally should – right??
Umm, but SOUPS!!! Let’s talk soups.
Especially this one. It’s the perfect soup for mid September. Not too heavy, but still just cozy enough. Does that make sense? Probably not, but I’m going to go with it anyway.
I have been dreaming of this Brie + Cheddar Apple Beer Soup for a while now. Ever since last fall, I have loved the combo of apples and cheddar. I think the two are the perfect match. It’s something about the tart apples with the sharp cheddar cheese, they are just so good together.
Some of you may think I am crazy, but just give it a try. You don’t really taste apples, more just their sweetness. It’s kind of hard to explain, so just try it. If you like apples, cheddar and soup, than I am almost positive you will love this.
Also, if you use honeycrisp nothing can go wrong. They are SO flippin good right now. I think I have like three a day. Yep, not one, or two, but three. I love them!
Then there is the cinnamon, pecan and oat crumble?
I know that this may seem totally out there, putting a crumble on top of soup, maybe even way out there. But if you haven’t noticed, sometimes I like to do that. Sometimes my way out there ideas just turn out bad, and the recipe never gets seen. But sometimes, they just turn out soo good and I cannot wait to tell you about them!
Clearly this is one of those times.
I had a ton of doubts about the cinnamon topping though. So much so that it actually made me second guess the whole soup. I even made a whole second topping for the soup, took hours contemplating what to do and in the end it was the cinnamon pecan crumble that won by a long shot. I always knew that’s what I wanted to do, but all my second guessing. UGH. When will that ever stop??
Going with your gut is always the best opinion. Never stray from your gut feeling and I truly believe you will be golden. Go with the gut.
And when in doubt, just add more cheese. That never fails either.
Brie + Cheddar Apple Beer Soup with Cinnamon Pecan Oat Crumble.
Calories Per Serving: 709 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
Cheddar Apple Beer Soup with Brie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 2 small Honeycrisp apples or 1 large, chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 (12 ounce) beer I used pumpkin beer
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces brie rind removed + cubed
View Recipe Comments
To make the Crumble
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Working on a greased cookie sheet or pyrex dish, add the oats, pecans, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the softened butter and use your fingers to crumble it into the oats mixture until everything is moist and the butter is evenly distributed. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until crisp is golden brown and smells amazing. I like to serve this warm, so I make it while the soup simmers.
To make the Soup
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and a pinch of brown sugar. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. At this point, slowly add in the apple cider, let it cook into the onions, add more and continue to cook. Do this until the onions are caramelized. Add the apples and thyme to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, 8 minutes. Add in any remaining apple cider, the beer, chicken broth and cayenne. Bring to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes or until the apples are tender. (This is when I bake the crumble)
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Once the apples are soft, puree the soup until chunky smooth or completely smooth (whatever you like). Return the soup to the stove and bring to a low bowl. Whisk in the milk mixture and boil until the soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar cheddar cheese and brie until melted and smooth. Simmer the soup 5 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cinnamon pecan crumble. Plus maybe some extra cheese too!! Happy slurping!
And yes, it is cold enough here in the mornings and at night that a sweater, scarf and boots are a must.