Breakfast Quesadilla with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Avocado Salsa.
Breakfast Quesadilla with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Avocado Salsa…the best breakfast, any day of the week. Soft scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, chipotle peppers, cheese, and spinach, stuffed into flour tortillas and cooked until golden, crisp, and oh so perfect. Top these quesadillas with a spicy avocado and you’ll have yourself a complete breakfast. Bonus? These quesadillas are perfect for storing in the freezer to have on hand for busy mornings.
I’m sure you’ve probably noticed, but I tend to sway towards sweet breakfasts and save the savory breakfasts for dinner. I just love a stack of pancakes, waffles, or french toast more than you know, but that’s not to say I don’t love eggs too. I actually cook them often…just more for dinner than breakfast.
What can I say, I’m an odd one for sure, and I love breakfast for dinner. Actually, I love breakfast, sweet or savory, anytime of the day…
What about you?
Here’s what I have realized. I have a lot of sweet breakfast recipes here on HBH. And while I love them all (and have a new one coming next week…), it’s that time of year when I feel inspired to also share a few more savory breakfasts. Which is where today’s quesadilla comes in.
First, I want to start by saying that photographing quesadillas is not my favorite thing to do. They’re tricky and well, they never turn out as pretty as I envisioned they would in my head. This is a hard things for me to deal with. But it’s OK, because even though quesadillas might not be the prettiest, they are delicious.
And that’s what is most important.
And trust me, these are GOOD.
I stuffed soft scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, chipotle peppers, green peppers, cheese, and spinach (or arugula) into flour tortillas and then cooked them up until they were crisp on the outside with melting cheese on the inside. The secret is the mix of chipotle peppers and green peppers. It’s smoky, mildly spicy, and just a little tangy from the picked peppers. DELICIOUS.
Finish these with a fresh avocado and cilantro lime salsa, and breakfast is complete.
But here’s the best part.
I created this recipe to be freezer friendly, so that you can have a breakfast quesadilla any day of the week. Yes, any day. Simply assemble the quesadillas, then wrap them up to store in the freezer until you are ready to eat. When ready, grab a quesadilla, unwrap, cook, and enjoy!
Meaning you should make a whole bunch of breakfast quesadillas on Sunday, freeze them, and pull them out when you need a healthy and delicious breakfast. Perfection.
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give these quesadillas a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Breakfast Quesadilla with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Avocado Salsa
Soft scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, chipotle peppers, cheese, and spinach, all stuffed into flour tortillas and cooked until golden. Top these quesadillas with a spicy avocado for a complete breakfast. Perfect for storing in the freezer to have on hand for busy mornings.
- 6 large eggs
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 4 whole wheat or regular flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon, lightly crumbled
- 1-2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives or green onions
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- kosher salt
1. Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet.
3. In a small bowl, combine the green chiles and chipotle peppers.
4. Lay the tortillas flat on a clean counter. On the top of 2 tortillas, evenly layer the cheeses, eggs, bacon, and green/chipotle peppers. Add a handful of greens (spinach, arugula, etc) on top. Then lay the remaining 2 tortillas on top.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, place the quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with avocado salsa.
6. To make the salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add salt, to taste.
*To freeze these, assemble the quesadillas as directed above, but do not cook them. Wrap each quesadilla individually in plastic wrap and freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. To cook once frozen, remove the plastic wrap and warm the quesadilla in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to thaw. Then cook as directed in the skillet.
Our Favorite Recipes
20 Minute Caribbean Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa.