Blackberry Swirl Muffins with Honey Butter.
Everything with a swirl is just that much more fun.
And Tuesdays just need all the fun and colorful things we can add to them. Don’t you agree?
Speaking of which, happy Tuesday guys! We made it through Monday, meaning the rest of the week is going to fly by from here on out. I’m currently running all around, like that devil of rooster I have screaming outside my window (for real, he’s the devil, roosters are mean…just putting that out there). Today is my last day at home for a good week and for me that means scrambling to get everything done on my to-do list before flying out of town again tomorrow. Therefore, I’m cooking up a storm, writing recipes, editing tons and tons and tons of photos, making lists (upon lists), packing, plus the hourly mini freak outs. It’s cool though, because I’m oddly not as stressed as I should be, and you know, I’m actually pretty excited. Plus, by the end of the week I will (hopefully) be in warm and sunny California with my family for a couple of days. Everyone is going to be there, so it’s going to be crazy, but also so great to all be together. I love that I love my family so much (…for the most part). They’re the best!
Clearly I needed to vent for a quick second to get my thoughts out so I could focus on telling you guys all about these incredible muffins that I know you’ll love.
I’ve been working on these muffins for weeks. At first they started off as a very different muffin, but I’m pretty excited about the final product I’ve come to share with you today. Even though it took me a while to get them perfected, it was totally worth all the time and effort, these truly are some of the best, healthy…ish muffins out there. And yes, I did say healthy, and yes, I know there is butter. <–They are now saying that grass fed butter is not only NOT bad for us, it’s actually healthy! I’m definitely on board with that…and please, don’t tell me otherwise.
SO these muffins…
The base is simple, but one that keeps them moist as can be, and so flavorful. I used a combo of melted coconut oil, buttermilk, and plain greek yogurt to keep the muffins extra light and moist. The greek yogurt not only adds moistness, it also adds tons of healthy protein to these muffins. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, don’t worry, just swap in regular milk, BUT if you can get your hands on some buttermilk, I really recommend it for the added tangy flavor.
For the blackberry swirl, I just mashed up some of the blackberries until they release their juices, then I gently swirled them into the batter. It’s perfect because you’re not biting down on giant blackberries, and the juice creates the prettiest swirls throughout the muffin. I also added a touch of orange zest for an added citrus flavor. Plus, I just really love the combo of anything blackberry and orange. So good.
And then, since this is me, and you know how I love my toppings, I added a just a little smear of honey butter. What??? I literally cannot help it. I just have to add toppings. Toppings are my favorite, and let’s be real, when is honey butter ever a bad idea? It just makes everything that much sweeter…ok and buttery and delicious as well.
What’s great about these muffins is that you can easily swap the blackberries for pretty much any other berry…blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and even things like chopped stone fruits or pomegranates would work. The options are really endless…but I think the blackberries are my favorites.
Oh, and if you wanted to make these just a touch more indulgent, you could certainly stir in a few white chocolate chips. That would be just delish.
Thinking it’s feeling like a Tuesday muffin making day? Maybe I’ll make a big batch and bring them with me to Nashville as gifts to the TV crew? Hmmmm….need to find the time, but I love this idea!
Either way though, can we all agree we need some muffins today? They make the best easy, on-the-go, breakfast or snack, plus they would be PERFECT for Mother’s Day brunching this Sunday. <–your mom will love you for these muffins, trust me, I know from experience.
Bottom line: make some blackberry swirl muffins and slather them with honey butter. Nothing better to liven up a plain old Tuesday!
Blackberry Swirl Muffins with Honey Butter
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, buttermilk, greek yogurt, and eggs until smooth. Add the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined.
3. In a small bowl, gently mash 3/4 of the blackberries with a fork until some of the juices are released. Stir in the remaining blackberries and orange zest, then gently fold all of the blackberries into the batter, being careful not to over mix. Remember, you're going for a blackberry swirl look.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffins tins. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, make the honey butter. In a small bowl, stir together the butter, honey, and cinnamon.
6. Serve the muffins warm or at room temp with a smear of honey butter. Enjoy!
The prettiest…and most delicious.